If the Cast of ‘New Girl’ Went to Penn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

The new season of New Girl is up and running! What if the cast went to Penn, who would they be?

Jessica Day

Character description: In the show, Jess is bubbly, quirky and fun. She is an aspiring teacher, enjoys crafting, writes Nancy Drew fan-fiction and plays the handbells. She is the only female roommate living with three male roommates.

Penn identity

• Best described as: Enthusiastic and over-involved. Prior to coming to school she was the first person to formally introduce herself to her class’s Facebook group. She is pretty well known and recognized at Penn; if not for her social media involvement, for her tendency to over-commit to student organizations. She claims it’s part of the “true college experience” to join absolutely every group she can on campus. Although currently single, she once DFMO-ed at a frat, and then told everyone she knew all about it the next day. Also, one time her friends convinced her to show up to Castle dressed like Cinderella on Halloween.

• Clubs and activities: Art club, Penn Appetit, Big brothers big sisters, Bloomers, Camp Kesem, Fossil Free Penn, Vagina Monologues, peer tutor, UPMUNC, the DP, 34st, SCUE, Fisher college house advisory board, registered tour guide and rho gamma. Obsessed with Penn Masala and has unsuccessfully been trying to get them to do a collab with her and her handbell routine for the past 2 years.

• Greek affiliation: Chi Omega~ because these girls are involved in everything. But she actually mostly joined because she loves going around telling people “hoot hoot you’re cute.” Plus, she thought “XO” is endearing and looks great on a T-shirt.

Nick Miller

Character description: Nick is apathetic, sarcastic, and slightly socially inept. He’s a bartender from Chicago who’s been desperately trying to get over an ex-girlfriend for most of the show.

Penn identity: Social and slovenly. Nick is the typical college kid—sleeps through class often, hasn’t done his laundry in weeks, and procrastinates until exam week when he desperately catches up on work. He’s social and goes out often.

• Best be described as: That kid who does no work and still gets by. He’s probably like the engineer that lives in your hall that never comes out of his room and sleeps all day but is casually smart and still passes all his exams.

• Clubs and activities:  He’s a bouncer at Smokes, and will probably end up sticking around after graduating to bartend there.

• Greek affiliation: Definitely GDI. And likes to remind everyone of it too. Like if Nick comes into Schmidt’s room as he’s spending hours getting ready for a mixer/formal, Nick will just scream “I’m a goddamn independent!!” out of nowhere and storm out of the room. It’s not that he wouldn’t be interested in the frat scene, but more that he couldn’t commit to actually showing up to rush events.

Schmidt

Character description: In the show, he’s the bossy roommate who pretty much runs the loft. He has OCD and thus is solely in charge of decorating, cooking, and cleaning the loft and makes sure that this is all done to his standards. He is narcissistic about his appearance, he even has a binder of photos modeling his own suit collection. He owns and uses a plethora of hair products. He is vocal about and proud of his Jewish heritage. He notoriously moonwalks out of awkward or unusual situations

– Famous Schmidt quotes include:

• “Damnit I can’t find my driving moccasins anywhere.”

• “Are you cooking a frittata in a sauce pan? What is this – prison?”

• “Have you seen my sharkskin laptop sleeve?”

• “Youths!”

• “Can we just take a moment to celebrate me?”

• “Can someone please get my towel? It’s in my room next to my Irish walking cape!”

• “I don’t celebrate Christmas. Or, as I like to call it, ‘White Anglo Saxon Winter Privilege Night’.”

Penn identity

• Best be described as: “Frat Chic.” His social calendar is his top priority, but he’s also a perfectionist in all areas of his college life. He has a strict “beauty sleep-study-gym-rage” routine (in that order). He’s systematically working his way through every sorority. He’s studying finance and accounting. He has a superiority complex about being a Wharton student and thus wears a suit most of the time so everyone knows he’s in the business school. When he’s not sleeping, studying, at the gym or partying with girls, he’s either going through his 10-stage beauty routine or reorganizing his suit collection.    

• Clubs and activities: Determined to join every club with the word “Wharton” in front of it. He calls everyone in the college peasants. His current agenda involves trying to get elected to student government and dedicate his entire term to fighting homelessness in University City. Not because he’s genuinely concerned about the homeless, he simply wants to “displace them elsewhere” because they disrupt his walk to class.

• Greek affiliation: ZBT. He vehemently refused to join anything other than a frat with a Jewish stereotype. He was the worst pledge and found all pledging events “completely barbaric, you ANIMALS.” The one time he had to clean up after a party he promptly called a cleaning crew to do it instead.

Cece

Character description: In the show, Cece is Jess’ best friend. She’s a model and takes her job very seriously, eating healthy and exercising for her appearance. She is Schmidt’s love interest. Otherwise she loves going to clubs and dancing.

Penn identity

• Best be described as: Sceney and outgoing. She makes friends easily wherever she goes and has a lot of friends in every organization. Her social calendar and her modeling are her primary priorities and school comes next. She’s studying communications with a consumer psych minor in Wharton with the desire to somehow be on the other side of the modeling industry by working in advertising.

• Clubs and activities: Wharton retail club, Penn fashion collective, The WALK

• Greek affiliation: OAX. She didn’t originally want to rush because she hates girls and the idea of living in a house with 40 of them was incredibly unappealing to her. She was ultimately happy when they went off campus.

Coach [Ernie Taglioboo]

Character description: In the show, coach is a former athlete and a personal trainer. He works as a gym teacher at Jess’s school. Although attractive, he has a hard time talking to women.

Penn identity

• Best be described as: Second Floor Pottruck. The silent really good looking guy that you see at the gym and/or in gym clothing at all times.

• Clubs and activities: Intramural basketball, Undergraduate Sports Business Club

• Greek affiliation: SigChi- hangs with the athletes or ex-athletes at all times. At mixers he stands in the corner awkwardly and tries to make small talk with girls or gets over competitive in pong.

Winston Bishop

Character description: Winston is competitive former basketball player and Nick’s childhood friend. He moved to Latvia to play for their team but upon losing his position he moved back to America. He has a cat named Franklin who he loves more than anything. He struggles to adjust once he’s back in the states. He later ends up training to become a police officer.

Penn identity

• Best be described as: Underrated. He’s a really nice guy but sometimes is quiet and shy and may get overlooked by the ~ladies~ He’s really genuine and sweet which is a rare find at Penn. He’s studying criminal justice and is pre-law. Can be found at Saxby’s near the vet school trying to strike up conversation with vet students about his cat. Still thinks Penn’s colors are red and green.

• Clubs and activities: Pre-law honor society

• Greek affiliation: PiKapp. He brought his cat to the house and makes the pledges walk it. He frequently tries to pull pranks on his brothers, but usually fails. As much as he loves pranking people, he’s awful at it.

________________

Sources:

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/jk_HiPj1_3jl.jpg 

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz302vQ4oI1qda39go1_500.gif

http://media0.giphy.com/media/FhUBbobTJ52Le/giphy.gif

http://media.giphy.com/media/kEdRiH2LQLrb2/giphy.gif

http://assets.poponthepop.com/photos/xlarge_p/cece-on-new-girl.gif

http://garotasgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/tumblr_lr5ly3S3Q31qfp…

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2014-03/enhanced/webdr06/18/22/anigif_e…