How to Stay Safe Amidst Penn’s Hook-up Culture: Let’s Talk Safe Sex ;)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Hook-up culture is defined by the American Psychological Association to be an accepted integration of brief, uncommitted sexual encounters between individuals who are not romantic partners or dating each other – and it is no stranger to Penn students. Regardless of class year, gender, or sexuality, there is a prominent atmosphere of low-commitment sexual encounters between students at Penn. Whether you love it or hate it, it’s present and here to stay.

Those in favor of Penn’s hook-up culture remark that they have been able to relearn self-love through it, enjoy sexual pleasure without commitment or obligations, and use it as a means of self-validation. Those against this culture cite the double standards of hook-up culture, the lack of something ‘real,’ the risk of STDs associated with it, and the headache it causes for those seeking committed relationships in such a setting. Regardless of your viewpoint, as Penn hook-up culture is so strong, it’s important to note some tips to stay safe!

Let’s keep it short and sweet with three quick tips that help you stay safe amidst Penn’s hook-up culture in general and especially during the COVID pandemic.

Consent must be explicit, not implied

• The first and most important thing to note is on the topic of consent. Between frat parties and nights out, we cannot deny that many of the ‘hook-ups’ occur with a background of drinking or soft drugs. Given that, it is important that regardless of gender, sexuality, environment, or situation, you receive EXPLICIT consent from your partner and not implied consent or weak agreements. For more information regarding consent, please visit the following link and click on the ‘consent’ tab: https://pvp.vpul.upenn.edu/sexualviolence/ 
  • In terms of definitions, consent is defined to be an affirmative decision to engage in a mutually acceptable (in this case, sexual) activity, and it must be an informed decision that is made freely and actively by all parties. Therefore, it cannot be obtained from anyone who is either mentally or physically incapacitated (whether due to alcohol, drugs, or any other substances).
  • The general rule of thumb is that if you are not sure whether or not you received explicit consent, take it as if you did NOT.

always use protection

• Protection, protection, protection. This cannot be stressed enough. Condoms are the safest bet for both decreasing chances of pregnancy and protecting against most forms of STIs. At a glance, male condoms are 98% effective against pregnancy, are safe to use with most lubricants, and have also been proven to effectively protect against STI/STDs.
    • It’s important to note here that while there are other barrier methods and even hormonal methods that prevent pregnancy to a certain degree, most do not or are less effective in protecting against STIs.
  • Condoms are available for FREE at all of Penn’s cultural centers (the LGBTQ+, Women’s, Greenfield Intercultural, La Casa Latina, Makkuu, and PAACH centers) as well as through GA/RAs for every college house and/or floor.

Green Penn Openpass

• Yes, I said it. A green PennOpenPass. During our current age of COVID, you can never be too safe, so, better safe than sorry, and ask your partner if they have tested negative for COVID or if they are feeling symptomatic at all. You don’t have to ask to see their OpenPass per se, but I would highly recommend that you have the conversation with them regarding any potential exposures to COVID. Of course it’s understandable that it’s not the first thing that comes to mind when you are about to “get some,” but for the health and safety of friends, family, and yourself, it is important to ask (even though it can be a little embarrassing).

At the end of the day, the fact of the matter is that hook-up culture exists at Penn – for better or for worse. You may love it, you may hate it, or you may feel indifferent about it. But it’s an aspect of Penn that is here to stay. As such, it’s very important to be aware and stay safe.

Cheryl Chang

U Penn '24

Cheryl is an adjective. It describes someone whose always bubbly and nice, cheerful and optimistic. Additionally, Cheryl characterizes someone who is a dreamer and a believer. In fact, Cheryl lives by the motto "Anything is possible as long as you believe" by Peter Pan (i think).