How to Survive Formals/Finals Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. Two weeks left in the semester and the two biggest to-do list items are: 1. Have a great time at formal and 2. Survive finals. Here are some of the best tips for making it through this chaotic time

1.     As far as a dress goes: don’t be afraid to borrow one from a friend or re-wear an old dress. As college student’s bank accounts usually dwindle towards the end of the semester there’s no need to splurge on a brand new dress.

2.     As far as a date goes: don’t be afraid to go with a friend. Especially if you’re already super stressed with other things, adding the complication of taking a more-than-a-friend might not be worth it. Set-ups can sometimes be really fun, too—but it’s generally a hit or miss. Definitely worth the shot though if your friend finds you a nice guy- ya never know what can happen!  

3.     Go hard… but not too hard. Generally formals are the weekend right before the last week of classes when everyone’s final projects/papers are due and final exams are just around the corner. You obviously want to have a great last hoorah before summer, but don’t go so hard that you’ll be recovering for the next two days and can’t be productive with school work.

4.     Don’t over-commit. If you’re one of those people with a lot of guy friends who need dates to their formals, or maybe you just happened to be asked to a bunch of them, don’t be afraid to say no. It gets exhausting to go to too many big events during finals—definitely pace yourself.

5.     Make a plan for the end of the semester. Whether you have one or two weeks left of school, it’s likely to be packed with events—from studying, to review sessions, to end-of-the-year events and social functions. Plan your days out in advance so you budget time for all the important stuff and prioritize wisely.