Here Are the Golden Globe Nominations to Look Out For This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Awards season is finally around the corner, and now is the time to reflect on the movies, shows, and actors that got us through — and are continuing to get us through — the pandemic. 

Throughout 2020, those of us at home have relied on the escapism of the small screen. Frankly, I believe every nominee deserves an award for that simple fact, but, alas, only one can be victorious in the end.

In honor of the 78th Golden Globes, which will premiere on February 28th, here are my two cents about the most interesting categories, lauded nominees, and potential winners.

Best Motion Picture—Musical or Comedy

This is one of my favorite categories, because it’s not only the most celebrated, but also every year I get new movie recommendations from the nominations. I was incredibly surprised to see Borat Subsequent Moviefilm as a nominee. Sacha Baron Cohen reprising his role as Borat was already hilarious in itself, but I never considered this movie to be traditionally award-season quality. However, Borat’s satirical perspective on modern America has not only given audiences great laughs, but also forced us to reflect on our culture. 

However, although this movie is incredibly funny, I believe The Prom should and will win at the Globes. The Prom has a star-studded cast including James Corden, Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, and Kerry Washington, just to name a few. The film’s storyline champions queer rights and is deeply heartwarming as well. Its music will leave any viewer with dreams of being a glamorous Broadway star. 

Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

With many categories, there’s usually a clear winner. However, this year every actress nominated in this category deserves an award. Cate Blanchett, Daisy Edgar-Jones, Shira Haas, Nicole Kidman, and Anya Taylor-Joy all played bold, strong, and fearless characters. They were all at the top of their acting game. 

Although Anya Taylor-Joy seems most likely to win for her role as a chess prodigy in The Queen’s Gambit, I believe that Nicole Kidman should win for her role in The Undoing. Kidman plays a wife who discovers her husband is responsible for a horrible murder. 

In this role, we see an entirely new side of Kidman. Not only can she perfectly portray a wide range of emotions, but she excels in whatever genre she stars in, whether romance or drama. She’s considered one of the greatest actresses in the film industry for a reason and really showcases her acting versatility in The Undoing.

Best Television Series — Musical or Comedy

This might be an unpopular or controversial opinion, but I believe this award should go to Emily in Paris. Believe me, the other nominations — which include The Flight Attendant, Schitt’s Creek, Ted Lasso, and The Great, are full of amazing talent. 

However, Emily in Paris provided the escapism that every American traveler desperately needed throughout 2020. One of the reasons why the past year was so hard was because we were all trapped in our homes, without the ability to live life and see the world. However, a show like Emily in Paris reminds us that there’s still a great wide world waiting for us to explore soon. 

The show takes place in Paris, allowing us to escape to the most romantic city in the world. The humor, sweet romance, and feminist message of this series all combine to make a show worthy of this prestigious award. 

Best Director — Motion Picture

A great director means everything for a film and is often the difference between critical acclaim and a critical flop. This year, three women — including two women of color — were nominated for this award, representing a great step toward progress in the entertainment industry. It’s important to celebrate women and BIPOC directors when there are so few recognized each year; even this year, many creators of color were snubbed in a variety of categories. 

In terms of who should win this year’s award, the movie that spoke to me the most was Regina King’s One Night in Miami. The movie follows the story of the Civil Rights movement and some of its most important figures. At a time when racial injustice is at the forefront of our political decisions, Regina King reminds us of the brave activists who stood up in the face of oppression throughout history. 

King directs with poise like never before, and she doesn’t shy away from the subjects our society needs to critically address. She sheds light on unsung heroes and deserves to be recognized as the best director this season.

These films, shows, and actors have all provided solace to their audience during difficult times. It’s important that we continue to appreciate film and media as they represent artistic, creative aspects of our culture. 

All of the nominees, regardless of their categories, highlight just how important the arts are for both our societal and cultural growth.   

Melissa is currently a sophomore at the University of Pennsylvania, majoring in Economics. She loves to travel, read books, do yoga, and watch rom-coms!