Halloween Costumes: On Campus & Beyond

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Between midterms, singing in the shower, intramural badminton, and reading Her Campus, you have no time to tweet, let alone shop! Let’s face it, Halloween is pracitcally ten minutes away and it’s time to get your costume. But alas, you have maxed out your wallet at HipCityVeg and the bookstore has no costumes, so bursar isn’t an option. So how do you come up with a stellar costume without leaving Philly? Let me be your guide.

IF YOU’RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE SOME EXTRA CASH… 
(If you’re cashless and classless like me, skip down to Boom For Your Buck!)

American Apparel, 37th and Walnut, has the best of both worlds. The clothes you would buy there, even the accessories, are ones you can use for Halloween and then re-use over and over again. Notorious for its “if you like it, you can have it in every color” sales tactic, almost everything sold at American Apparel could be used for a costume. Dressing as a crayon? They have yellow everything. Want to be a scandalous animal? They have ears too. And while the price is a little steeper than we all would like, chances are the item you buy is something you can wear year-round. But pass on the glitter Dorothy shoes, you aren’t in Kansas anymore.

Going hand in hand with American Apparel is Urban Outfitters, 36th and Sansom. While their actual costume selection may be lacking (unless you want to be a hipster animal?), their makeup is pretty decent. Added bonus: they have plenty of last minute “this shirt is my costume” type pieces for the laziest of us. I myself bought paint pens which are essentially facepaint in a pen, but you can also use them in your hair (I haven’t actually tried this, so proceed with caution).

The recently publicized SmakParlour truck at 40th and Locust is, in my opinion, worth the hype. I loved the store downtown, but the fashion truck is a fashion statement, and you probably already pass it fifteen times a day. This truck’s clothes are not always inexpensive, but again, you can wear these clothes in real life, not just on Halloween. Don’t believe me? Head over there yourself. They had me at costume jewelry, so this is on my list.

BOOM FOR YOUR BUCK
Did that get your attention? We all love money, so let’s try saving you some. Philly does thrifting and indepedently owned stores better than TSwift does breakups, so here are some places to dress up and cash down.

Philly AIDS Thrift, 710 S. 5th Street, is a local thrift store where your money goes towards the AIDS Fund. I personally really enjoyed my experience here. The sales are generally great and they have the most variety as far as pieces of clothing (jeans, t-shirts, etc.). Wander through the affordable books or get lost in Dollar Land—the store itself is a piece of work. Plus, the guys who own the store are super friendly AND they have a “Vintage Room”. Need I say more?

Ever heard of Plato’s Closet? Buffalo Exchange, 17th and Chestnut, is the same concept. I would suggest Buffalo Exchange if your costume involves real clothing (e.g. a flannel button up or an oversized sweater). Some people are hesitant to thrift, but the idea is making more from what you buy. I bought oversized jeans once and made cutoff shorts, which turned out awesome. This store, like most thrift shops, is sometimes hit or miss, but if you think outside the box, you can keep money inside your pocket.

Another thrifty joint is the Second Mile Center Thrift Store, 214 S. 45th Street. This place is well-organized and appropriately priced, plus there are fitting rooms (which is rare). If you’re in the market for H&M or Forever 21-type things, plus some random vintage finds, this place could be worth a stop. The only trouble with thrifting is you may or may not sift through every item in the store before stumbling on one you want. But again, repurpose is key, so go in with the mindset that you might not find something to wear off the hanger, but you’ll likely find something you can use.

WORTH THE HIKE
These places are a little further away, but the Penn bubble is meant to be broken. The weather’s still great, so why not?

South Street: In a land not too far away is the Headhouse District, home to the iconic and diverse South Street. The world is your oyster here, as this street houses plenty of places to shop, eat, and do basically anything else you want. Usually the store selections change with the season, so Halloween is on their mind. Clad with boutiques, accessory shops, and thrift stores, you are bound to find something you like on South Street.

Rittenhouse and Center City West: These are the stores you probably had back home—H&M, Sephora, Macy’s, Anthropologie, J.Crew, Victoria’s Secret. While these are not Halloween-specific, you can find a lot of neutrals, basics, or items to complement your costume. The key with these is knowing what you want beforehand. All of these companies have websites, so procrastinate wisely and cut down on time spent shopping.

OTHER

Online: Shipping payments are a nuisance, but at least your costume comes to your door! Check out Tobi, NastyGal, Etsy, or even Party City if you’re desperate for a costume. You still have time for standard shipping, so no need to pay more to expedite it. Tip: making an account usually scores you savings like free shipping, so just unsubscribe later. Or better yet, Google search store coupon codes.

Your Closet! This is probably my best piece of advice: USE WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE. If you plan on celebrating the whole weekend, buying four outfits will not be cheap. Last year I threw on high-waisted shorts, a black tanktop, some black tights, combat boots, and a leather jacket (all of which I already had) for my biker costume. Hit up Pinterest or BuzzFeed if you need inspiration, or stalk Facebook pictures to see last year’s costumes. And if you STILL cannot find what you need, ask a friend! You will be happy you spent $0 on that red bandana she has 20 of, and you can probably lend her something in exchange.