Getting Ready for Spring: 5 Style Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.
It’s finally here: spring! The season we’ve all been waiting oh-so-patiently for. But seriously, the weather could be warmer. Regardless, get ready to say bye-bye to those sweats and sweaters, and make room for some much lighter clothing. Here is a list of five basic spring essentials every woman on campus should have. It’s never too early to get your closet ready for the season, even if it is supposed to snow again on Tuesday

1. Scarves
A spring must-have accessory. They are multi-functional, can be worn many different ways, and there are endless selections. Although the weather’s getting nicer out, some days/nights will still be a bit nippy. Scarves are a perfect way to keep warm without having to wear a ridiculously huge coat. They can also be work as a belt, as a bracelet, on your purse, or even on your head. They always fit, and why spend your money on a whole new outfit when a single scarf can add variety to your outfit?

2. Cropped Tops
Crop tops aren’t just for summer! They go with anything: skirts, shorts, you name it! From midi skirts to minis, the options are endless. Not to mention, finding the perfect matching skirt and crop top combo is a big trend this spring. The easiest, most flattering way to wear it is with a high-waisted skirt.

3. Wedges/Sandals
Nothing says spring like a cute pair of wedges/sandals. Whether you decide to get a pair in a solid neutral or fun floral pattern, they are guaranteed to add some flare to any outfit. These shoes come in many price ranges, so I suggest hitting shoe stores where you know you can find ones at a reasonable price. It’s definitely a purchase that will come in handy all season long and even into summer.

4. Skinny Belts
This is an easy way to add style and interest to any outfit. Look for one in a bright color or pattern or maybe even explore materials like patent leather. They can be worn around your waist with a dress, or around your hips with a tank and jeans. Either way, you’ll definitely earn some big fashionista points. Maybe you’ll even earn a post on The Walk’s street style blog, “Seen On The Walk.”

5. Patterned or Pastel Jeans
Last but not least, you should add a fun pair of jeans to your spring wardrobe. The key to this look is to find a skinny or straight leg cut that falls at the ankle. Pair them with a plain white top and you’ll have the ultimate fresh look for spring. This popular look is just about everywhere these days and almost anyone can pull it off!

Images courtesy of: Good Girl Gone Glad; Metallic Paws; Omg Haute!; Live Originally; Lockerz; Atlantic-Pacific