Favorite Things Friday: Philabundance

St. Patrick’s Day, known to a specific few as Drink As Much As You Possible Can While Wearing Something Green And Ridiculous Day, was a little different for me this year. No, not because of the enormous parade of staggering leprechaun wannabes through campus, though that was a sight to be seen. 

View more Favorite Things Friday posts!

It was particularly special to me because I had the pleasure of volunteering at Philabundance, a hunger relief organization in Philadelphia. According to their website, Philabundance provides food to approximately 65,000 people per week through our direct services and network of 500 member agencies including emergency food kitchens, food cupboards, senior centers, and more. 

While waking up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday morning didn’t exactly appeal to me at first glance, the opportunity to explore Philadelphia and better yet, serve the community proved to be very rewarding. My fellow volunteers and I organized boxes of food and wiped down the carts before the day’s opening. I found myself very impressed with Philabundance’s efforts to optimize user experience. The amount of care put into the mission behind the scenes was not only notable, but heartwarming. Overall, it was an extremely positive experience that I hope to repeat in the near future. 

While my St. Patrick’s Day didn’t exactly align with the college culture ideal, I had a great time and that’s definitely something to which I would say, “Cheers.”  

For more information about Philabundance, visit their website.