From the Editors: Best and Worst Dressed at the Oscars – Monika’s Picks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Yes, the Oscars happened last night, but far more important was the fashion on the red carpet. Brought to you by your dear movie/celebrity/fashion-obsessed editors, this list covers the night’s Worst and Best Dressed Oscar attendees. While Angelina’s left leg unfortunately did not schedule an appearance, one man’s legs essentially did. To catch up on your Editors’ favorite and not-so-favorite celebrity looks, read on. Here are Monika’s picks:

The Worst:

3.  Penelope Cruz, ay no! It killed us, but the “Spanish enchantress” was not so enchanting in her Giambattista Valli Haute Couture baby pink ensemble. While Penelope’s draped sheets would have been perfect (albeit conservative) for the NSO Toga Party, it unfortunately was just not doing it for the Oscars.

Just no. 

2. Alfre Woodard’s navy Badgley Mischka gown was not only far too bejeweled; it also could have doubled as a child’s Renaissance costume. This 12 Years a Slave actress additionally chose to bare all—unfortunately, however, in all the wrong places. Her unmanicured toes were an unwelcomed sight that we are still wishing we could unsee.

1. Pharrell Williams did not get lucky with his outfit choice. While we were hoping we’d be able to say, “Hats off to Pharrell for leaving us ‘happy’ with his fashion choices,” the singer’s Lanvin tuxedo shorts left us cringing and begging for more. Pharrell, take note of Ellen, your wife, and every other Oscar attendee: if you did not plan on wearing a dress, pants are always a good option.

The Best:

3. Sandra Bullock looked perfectly lovely and elegant in her midnight blue Alexander McQueen gown. Appearing nothing short of stellar, the Gravity star looked out of this world in the beautiful knotted gown. And as if Sandra in that fabulous dress didn’t already leave us starstruck, she topped it all off with beautiful Lorraine Schwartz jewelry and a magnificent ear cuff. Brava, Sandra.

2. Lupita Nyong’o was truly a winner last night in her custom “Nairobi blue” Prada gown. To say this belle looked like a princess would be an understatement, despite the similarities between Lupita and Cinderella’s wardrobes. Truly sparking in the pale blue ensemble and Fred Leighton jewelry and headband, Lupita looked bibbidi-bobbidi-booeautiful.

1. Ellen DeGeneres proved to be quite the comedian/pizza party hostess/(sponsored) selfie-taker last night at the Oscars, and nothing made us laugh quite as much as her Glinda getup. The hostess played her part perfectly, leaving us begging for Ellen to be our fairy godmother.

The Other:

Liza Minnelli, we love you far too much to see you like this and far too much to ever place you on some sort of “hate” list. While we usually obsess over everything you do, tonight was no cabaret, old chum. Try again next year. Something a little less Smurf-y and nipple-revealing would serve your majesty much better. 

To see Alexis’s picks, be sure to check her article out here.