Easy Last–Minute Halloween Costume Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Halloweekend is finally here! Some of you might have been planning a fantastic costume since last October, getting the ball rolling early. Others may have waited until the last minute and realized Halloween snuck up on them. If you fall in the latter category, this article is for you!

Below is a list of some perfect last–minute costumes composed of items you most likely already have in your closet. Another plus of utilizing things from your wardrobe is that you don’t have to go out of your way to buy an expensive costume you’ll never wear again. So, the upside to last–minute Halloween looks is that they’re sustainable! 

The ideas below range from creative solo outfits to duo couple’s costumes, so there are plenty of choices!

Wednesday Addams from the addams family

Number one on the list is the infamous Wednesday Addams from The Addams Family, a perfectly spooky choice to celebrate the holiday. To execute this outfit, first create an all–black ensemble. Wear a black mini dress or skirt—or, if you want to keep it more casual, bust out the black pants. Next, all you need is a white button–down to layer underneath to show off that classic white collar.  Just put your hair in two braids, and you’re  set to rock the night! 

Mia Wallace from Pulp fiction

Coming next on this list is the star of the blockbuster film Pulp Fiction: Mia Wallace. This look requires almost the same garments from the costume above, meaning you can double use your own clothes. To replicate the movie look, go for black pants or capris and a loose white button–down. If you want to spice it up a bit, go for some black shorts instead! If you’re really committed to the look, grab a cigarette (a prop one, of course). 

This Quentin Tarantino classic also provides the perfect couple costume—you can find someone to be your Vincent Vega! All they’ll need is a suit and a bolo tie—which is probably the only thing on this list that isn’t a closet staple.

Ransom Drysdale from Knives Out

Who says you can’t dress as the villain? All you need to pull off this twist antagonist from the hit film Knives Out is his iconic cable knit sweater—and don’t worry, you don’t need to poke holes in your jumper like the character does. Next, slap on some trousers and channel your inner conniving villain. If you want to take this look to the next level, add a scarf and some sunglasses. 

For a duo look, someone can be your Marta Cabrera; all they need is a purple cardigan and a grey coat!

Adam Sandler

This one is more of a funny costume perfect for a daytime Halloween gathering! To master this look, all you need are some gym shorts and an oversized T–shirt! It’s that easy and comfortable. Accompany this costume with some hilarious Adam Sandler dialogue, and you’ll be good to go all night long.

Steve Jobs OR That one photo of the Rock OR Elizabeth Holmes

You may be wondering what all these people have in common, and it’s simple: a black turtleneck. This uncomplicated closet staple is the star of the show for any of these three looks.

For Jobs and Holmes, pair the black turtleneck with black trousers; for the Rock, pair the long–sleeve top with a pair of straight–leg jeans. 

What really elevates all of these looks are the accessories. For Jobs, either carry your iPhone or iPad around all night, or take an actual apple for the joke. If you have glasses, bring them out to finish the look! For Holmes, do a dark eye look, carry around a tiny capsule (preferably not filled with blood), and strike her iconic pose—get ready to answer some tough questions about the pharmaceutical industry as well. For the Rock, it’s time to bring out your fanny pack and a chain necklace, and you’re good to go!

Sometimes the best ideas come up at the last minute! So, use this article as your inspiration and dive into your closet to see what you can conjure up. Most importantly, remember to stay safe and have fun this Halloween! 

Jada Gritton

U Penn '24

Jada Gritton is studying PPE with an intended minor in Gender Studies. She enjoys reading, cooking, and listening to music and is excited to join the HerCampus team.