Wellness > Health

Do or Don’t: A Review of Modern Popular Diets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

With winter fast approaching and the temperature dropping, lots of people have taken to diets as an effective alternative or supplement to exercise in order to facilitate and maintain weight loss. Here, we discuss the effectiveness and sustainability of three popular modern diets: the Keto-Diet, Alternate Day Fasting (ADF), and the Low-Carb Diet.

The Keto Diet

What is it?

Originating in the 1920s, the keto diet emphasises a low-carb, high fat diet. The daily caloric breakdown for this diet is 5% carbs, 20% proteins, and a whopping 75% fat. I know – that’s a lot of fat. What’s essential to know here is that the emphasis on consuming lots of “fat” doesn’t refer to chugging cups of oil and butter. Fat is also found in nuts, avocados, and eggs – just to name a few.

The reasoning behind this diet is that, in cutting carbs, you force your body to transition to a state of ketosis (which is where your body resorts to burning fatty acids or ketones in place of carbs). Ketosis has been commonly linked to positive health benefits such as weight loss, which caused its rise to fame, and decreasing the risks for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and Parkinson’s disease.

Pros:

Weight loss

Reduced risk for heart disease

Reduced risk for Type 2 Diabetes

Reduced risk for Parkinson’s disease

Lowers blood sugar levels

Cons:

Difficult to sustain

Can cause calorie depletion and nutrient deficiency

– Due to the restrictions of the diet, it’s hard to get the necessary nutrients – vitamins, minerals, fibers – that are commonly found in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.

– There is also the possibility that the ‘high-fat’ nature of the diet translates to negative heart health. In fact, the American Heart Association recommends limiting saturated fat intake to 5-6% of your overall diet.

“Keto Flu”

– Feelings of fogginess and fatigue from the aforementioned nutrient deficiency. 

Food Obsession

– Restricting food intake commonly leads to psychological distress, which can translate to binge eating

In my opinion, though this diet may be effective for weight loss, it isn’t sustainable over a long period of time; I definitely wouldn’t recommend it as a long-term option. 

Alternate Day Fasting (ADF)

What is it?

From the people who popularized intermittent fasting – an eating pattern that alternates between fasting and eating – comes a new diet trend: Alternate Day Fasting (ADF)!

As the name suggests, ADF entails a cycle of normal eating for a few days followed by fasting for a few days. However, the “fasting” days don’t necessarily have to be straight up fasts. In fact, it’s recommended that beginners start by consuming up to 800 calories on “fasting” days, since it’s extremely hard for the body to transition from regular eating to no food for 24 hours. 

The logic behind this diet is that on your fasting days, you should ideally be consuming close to no calories, thus creating a calorie deficit. This is where things get tricky with this diet; while you don’t need to count calories or restrict food consumption, you still can’t pig out on eating days. For example, if you fasted all day Monday but then decided to binge at a 24-hour buffet on Tuesday, you may end up witnessing a weight gain as opposed to a weight loss. In short, overeating on ‘feeding’ days to compensate for fasting days will minimize, and sometimes reverse, the benefits of ADF entirely.

Pros:

Weight Loss

Improves glucose and insulin homeostasis

Relatively easy 

– You don’t need to track calories or record food consumption.

Reduces belly fat

Increases ketone bodies 

– These are produced by burning fat, and they promote better health. 

Reduces inflammation

Reduces risk for age-associated diseases 

Lowers overall cholesterol levels.

Cons:

Hard to sustain

– A number of studies have shown that there is a higher dropout rate among intermittent fasters than those following calorie-restricting diets.  

Medical concerns

– One year-long study found a significant increase in unhealthy LDL cholesterol levels for ADF dieters. 

Risks for food obsession and eating disorders 

Again, though this diet may help you effectively lose weight, it isn’t sustainable over a long period of time; in fact, it can be difficult to balance it without tipping into a territory of weight gain. I wouldn’t recommend it for a long-term lifestyle change as it can be taxing.

Low-Carb Diet

What is it?

A low-carb diet focuses specifically on restricting the consumption of carbohydrates, such as pasta, beans, and bread, by emphasizing the consumption of whole foods like natural proteins, fats, and vegetables. 

In short, a low-carb diet is a less restrictive version of the Keto-diet – you don’t have to narrow your diet down to primarily fats; you can eat a wider array of foods as long as you minimize the amount of carbohydrates you consume.

Pros:

Usually results in rapid weight loss

– However, this weight loss is often due to the loss of water weight, and weight loss does not remain rapid in the long run. 

Some studies show it may improve blood triglyceride levels and cholesterol levels

Ease

– As opposed to calorie restrictive diets, you can eat as much as you want until you’re full (assuming you don’t eat when you aren’t hungry, which is often what we do when we snack).

Cons:

Suboptimal intake of the vitamins and minerals

– Carbs are found in many different food groups, so avoiding these food groups in order to lower carb intake will minimize vitamin and mineral intake. 

– Deficiency of dietary carbohydrate has also been linked to problems with mood and concentration.

– The diet is generally low in fiber and antioxidants, which increases the risk of certain cancers.

– Some forms of this diet that advocate high protein can do damage to the kidneys and bones.

Muscle loss

This is probably the most sustainable diet of the three, though it may not show such effective long-term weight loss. Out of the three, this is probably the one I would most recommend trying if you so desire to try out a diet, as long as you monitor your health throughout. 

At the end of the day, the goal with any diet is discovering what works for you. While some people might find it easier to skip out on meals for days at a time (as called for by the ADF diet), others may find that lowering their carb consumption on a daily basis is what works for them. As a result, there is not “one diet that fits all,” but rather a process of trial and error for every individual. However, it’s even more important to stress that a person should not feel pressured to start dieting. Let’s all remember to love ourselves, cherish our bodies, and prioritize our health over anything else.

Cheryl Chang

U Penn '24

Cheryl is an adjective. It describes someone whose always bubbly and nice, cheerful and optimistic. Additionally, Cheryl characterizes someone who is a dreamer and a believer. In fact, Cheryl lives by the motto "Anything is possible as long as you believe" by Peter Pan (i think).