Style

Celebrating Black Leaders In The Fashion and Beauty Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Happy Black History Month from us here at Her Campus! This is a month to celebrate the accomplishments and lives of black citizens, and we’ve decided to highlight some absolutely amazing, black-owned fashion and makeup companies. The fashion and beauty industries have been whitewashed for years, but these creators are breaking barriers and challenging the norms of fashion each and every day. 

B.Simone Beauty 

You may know her from her Youtube channel, but black creator B. Simone established her namesake brand in 2019. The brand is vegan and cruelty–free, with aesthetic packaging and formulas matching the quality of many designer brands—but at a much more affordable price. Her company focuses on lip products, different glosses, and liquid lipsticks that won’t break your bank. 

Dehiya Beauty 

Created by Dr. Mia Chae Reddy, this brand specializes in skincare and features beauty products like facial mists and lip tints. Inspired by a fourth generation Moroccan herbalist, Dr. Reddy wanted to create a skin care line that honored the traditions of Morocco and her own ancestral roots. The brand prioritizes social-impact organizations that do everything from aiding the fight for racial justice to providing emergency relief for natural disasters. Not too mention, their Argan oil is sourced directly from Morocco, which supports the local economy.

Janet and Jo

Creator Kendra Woolridge’s mission to create nontoxic nail lacquers lead to Janet and Jo’s vegan and cruelty free nail polishes, created specifically with colors meant to complement people of color. The company’s name comes from Woolridge’s mother and grandmother, who fought battles with breast cancer. Due to their struggles, Wooldridge was inspired to look into the carcinogens that are present in many mainstream nail polishes. The Janet and Jo website emphasizes Woolridge’s mission: “The end result are Janet & Jo. Luxury Nail Lacquers—vegan, cruelty free, luxury nail lacquers, that are free of 10 ingredients commonly found in nail products linked to cancer, birth defects, reproductive issues, and allergens.”Janet and Jo is reinventing the nail industry with its eye–popping colors, and I urge you to join them! 

NaClO Apparel 

If there’s one trend from quarantine that’s never going out of style, it has to be loungewear. NaClO draws its name from the formula behind bleach andis a black owned fashion company focusing on lounge wear and bleached clothing. They offer matching sets, sweatshirts, and possibly the most comfortable pants I’ve ever worn. On top of that, NaClO’s Instagram is my happy place. Reasonably priced and featuring family models that make the clothes look even more welcoming, this store has been my go–to during quarantine. The colors are bright and make dark skin absolutely pop. 

Brandon Blackwood

If you’re like me, you don’t go anywhere without a bag–I always need something to match my outfit, carry my lipstick, etc. If you can’t seem to find the right bag to match your clothes, or if you’re worried about supporting the right brand, I have the answer for you: Brandon Blackwood creates every handbag you’ll ever need. With designs to rival Chanel and Prada, but at more affordable prices, Brandon Blackwood will soon become a staple of your wardrobe. The bag designs are so varied there’s something for anyone—you, your best friend, your grandma, etc. It’s one of those hidden gems that’s bound to blow up like Gucci sooner or later. 

Theophilio 

This vibrant brand was created by Edvin Thompson and inspired by his youth in Jamaica. It’s a high–fashion brand with elaborate pieces that nod back to Thompson’s home country. The line was created in 2019, and it’s garnered a lot of attention for its vibrancy! The colors specifically complement dark skin tones, and Thompson’s work shows how people of color are challenging whitewashed fashion houses. This is a company to look out for!

There are many other black–owned companies that make beautiful, sustainable products, so do your own research too.It’s important to remember that we should be celebrating black lives and black accomplishments every month, not just during February. Support these businesses throughout the year!

Mahaa Ayub

U Penn '23

Mahaa is a sophomore studying health and societies. She is interested in global health and charity work, specifically tutoring and helping West Philly kids.