This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

We all know this year has been a crazy one and traveling around the world for any occasion is no longer possible. For me, I know that during the school year, I struggle to find time to read. Whenever I have a free moment, I want to be interacting with people face–to–face instead of feeling disconnected over Zoom. Since many people will be on spring break soon, we’ll all have more time to read. Here are some of my favorite books to keep you busy and let you imagine you’re lounging on the beach. 

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

I won’t give you a detailed synopsis, because I don’t want to risk spoiling this book (sorry!) However, We Were Liars has all the characteristics of an amazing beach read thriller: a wealthy family, a private island, and a tragic accident all lead to secrets, lies, and deception. 

The story follows protagonist Cadence as she slowly regains her missing memory and the details of what happened to her over one summer. Half of the fun in reading this book is trying to figure out what the heck is going on as everything becomes clearer. I thoroughly enjoyed trying to piece the mystery together, and if you’re looking for a book to keep you on the edge of your seat, We Were Liars is a perfect choice. However, be warned—this book will make you want to cry and feel all the feels. I wish I could say more, but that’s all you’ll get from me today.

Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

This New York Times Bestseller tells the story of a fictional, iconic 1970s rock group. It’s loosely based on Fleetwood Mac—one of my all-time favorite bands—and their music career. In the novel, everyone is confused when the band Daisy Jones & The Six, at the peak of popularity, decide to suddenly quit the music industry. 

The story starts with two separate musical talents slowly achieving fame. The first is Daisy, who spends her days sneaking into clubs, living on the wild side, and dreaming of singing at the Whisky a Go–Go nightclub. While her crazy lifestyle is exciting at first, she feels unfulfilled and wants to become a singer more than anything. The other musical group to get noticed is the band The Six, led by singer Billy Dunne, who finds out that his girlfriend is pregnant before his first–ever tour. The second storyline follows Dunne as he struggles with his identity as both a father and a rock star. 

Daisy and Billy’s worlds collide when a music producer decides to put them together. The book is incredible, and I can’t recommend it more!

Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

This world–renowned novel follows two childhood friends and their relationships with their fathers as they grow up during the Taliban regime in Afghanistan. The story is one of love, guilt, redemption, loss, and hope. Author Khaled Hosseini was inspired to write this book after flying kites was banned in Afghanistan in 1999—it’s an activity both the author and the two main characters of the novel enjoy. While it isn’t a light read, it’s easy to get lost in, and there’s a reason it’s a one–of–a–kind classic.

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

I love this book! You might have seen the movie, but it was originally an iconic book. Crazy Rich Asians follows three outrageously wealthy Chinese families; the story follows the backstabbing and scheming that occur when the heir to one family’s fortune, Nicholas Young, brings his ABC (American–Born–Chinese) girlfriend, Rachel Chu, to the wedding of the season. 

Rachel is unaware of Nicholas’ family wealth and envisions a simple life with the man of her dreams. When she travels to Singapore with Nick, who’s the best man at the wedding, she’s surprised by the extravagant and complicated family he was hiding. 

I won’t spoil any more of this addictive book, but I truly believe everyone should have it on their shelf. I love it for the glitz and glam, and because it’s honestly one of the most descriptive books I’ve ever read. The stunning imagery, along with the sweet romance, is perfect for anyone looking to expand their reading palette, so head on over to your local bookstore for this read.

Spring break is a great time to unwind, and these books will bring so much value to your relaxation time. Each one has something for everyone, and if you’re looking for a mental escape from the world, they’re all great options. I strongly suggest taking advantage of the amazing literature out there while we’re all still living in pandemic mode!

Zoe is a Junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, she is majoring in Cinema and Media Studies as well as minoring in English and Russian Studies. She hails from London, England, and has loved being a part of HerCampus. She has a younger sister, and two Havanese dogs (both of whom she misses very much). When she is not studying, she is the Vice President of Penn Sirens (Penn’s Premier all-female acapella group), a performing member of the Musical Theatre and Light Opera Company ‘Penn Singers’, a mentor for ASAP (After School Arts Program), and was selected as a student liaison between the Annenberg center and the students involved in the arts on campus. Find her on Instagram @z.goldstein