Bloomers Perform Killer Murder Mystery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Last weekend, Bloomers had their last big production of the year, Law & Disorder: Special Bloomers Unit.

My roommate, Aleah Welsh, is in the cast and had spent the last few weeks talking about how amazing the show was going to be. She built it up a lot in my mind, and I have to say, the show did not fall short of her glowing description.

The Bloomers girls create all of their skits on their own, and this spring’s skits all demonstrated sarcastic or twisted humor to correlate with the production’s theme. The medley was a murder mystery that included hysterical original characters such as General, who had a nub in place of his hand; Pierre, a gay French lover; and the barbershop quartet that only had three members.

The interaction of these characters, who drunkenly tried to solve a murder mystery, was the highlight of this show. Each actress was able to connect with her character and make the entire audience laugh until their stomachs hurt. 

This was the last performance with the amazing seniors Ilana Arbisser, Jing Feng, Ruthie Gold, and Lizzie Sivitz. Simply by seeing how the rest of the cast fed off of their energies, there is no question that they will be missed. Although they will be graduating, the seniors have left a legacy, and I’m sure (as there were many alumni in the crowd—girdles, as they are called) they will come back to cheer on their Bloomers babies. These girls are truly unique and their humor is one of a kind.

Congratulations to the Bloomers cast, crew and band! Keep a look out for their floor-shows and next year’s performance.

Former editor-in-chief of Her Campus UPenn