To celebrate Black History Month, Her Campus UPenn is running a “Past, Present, Future” campaign where we highlight Black womxn who have made significant contributions across time, including those who are ready to take on the future. We are so excited to feature Penn student, Sheila Hodges (C’24), in our “Future” series! Learn more about Hodges’ work, leadership positions, passions, and goals below:
Sheila Hodges is a freshman at Penn, founder of a magazine, and all around girl boss. Her online platform, Teen Mindset Magazine, allows her to “use the stories of youth to inspire other youth.” She started out the summer of her junior year of high school interviewing family members and friends and has since grown to interviewing big names like Nadya Okamoto, the founder of The Period Movement. Even though her platform has taken off, she hasn’t lost sight of her original purpose: “to take away the illusion of competition and use the stories and success of others to help readers achieve their dreams as well.”
Beyond Teen Mindset, Sheila is also very active on social media, using her personal Instagram to uplift others. She knows that social media can be a negative influence, but she tries to give a positive spin to her followers by “enlightening them of issues, empowering them to conquer their dreams, giving them an outlet to express how their day is going, and uplifting them with [her] daily reflections.” Check out her IG stories and we guarantee you’ll leave feeling inspired.
February has filled all of our feeds with uplifting content for Black History Month. Sheila sees this month as “a time to reflect on the massive contributions Black individuals have made to our daily lives — whether through beauty, fashion, music, art, technology, etc.” However, Sheila notes this is not something that should only be celebrated once a year, but all year long. She hopes that February reminds us all to “reflect inwards on how we can individually contribute to bringing an end to racism and its harmful effects.”
Sheila is undoubtedly a changemaker of the future who is already making big waves. Sheila Hodges is a name to keep on your radar — you’ll definitely be seeing it in bright, shining lights one day. Though, for her, it isn’t about recognition or fame. “I know it sounds cheesy, but ultimately in life, I just want to be a source of love for people.”
Fun, rapid-fire, get-to-know-Sheila questions :)
- Major: Thinking about double majoring in Sociology & Communications!
- Extracurriculars: West Philly Beat, Reporter for the DP, Intercultural Chair at the Penn Newman Center, Undergraduate Fellow at Penn Collegium Institute
- Hometown: Orange Park, Florida
- Birthday: May 22
- Pronouns: She/her/hers
- Favorite Netflix show: H2O: Just Add Water
- Quarantine hobby: Drawing and walking
- Song you just can’t stop listening to: “Tout Oblier” by Angele & Romeo Elvis
- Favorite Quote: “She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.” ~ Psalms 31:25
- Thoughts on pineapple on pizza?: I love it!! I usually ask for extra pineapple because I’m that obsessed!
- Pancakes or waffles: Waffles
Thank you, Sheila, for sharing your story with us!