5 Shows to Watch This Month That Are Not Game of Thrones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

My name is Bitsy Brandfield-Harvey and I am a “Never Throner.” This term was introduced in a recent Wall Street Journal article in anticipation of the return of Game of Thrones and the timing could not be more perfect. Twitter has also taken the term viral with the hashtag #NeverThroners.

If you are a “Never Throner” like me, you know what it’s like. Everyone around us is discussing their favorite scenes and characters leading up to the final season premiere and we just have to nod and smile in fear that the die-hard fans will discover our true identities. 

However, if you are like me and don’t enjoy medieval fantasies or you just really don’t care that “Winter is Coming,” don’t fret!

Here’s a list of five non-Game of Thrones TV shows you can binge watch this month that are just as good, if not better!

The Assassination of Gianni Versace

First up is this second installment in American Crime Story, the American anthology true crime television series that began as a spin-off of the acclaimed American Horror Story in 2016. The Assassination of Gianni Versace first aired in January 2018, but came to Netflix earlier this year. So naturally, I finished watching it in a matter of two days. The show explores the murder of famous fashion designer Gianni Versace in 1997 by serial killer Andrew Cunanan. However, this is not your typical Criminal Minds or Law and Order. The show delves into the lives of all the people involved in the murder and leaves you questioning the meaning of morality. Moreover, Darren Criss, who plays the killer Andrew Cunanan, gives a phenomenal performance as well as Salma Hayek as Gianni Versace’s sister Donatella. If you want an addictive thriller that is more thought-provoking than it is gory (unlike Game of Thrones), give this one a try!

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

This spunky comedy series centers on a housewife in 1950s New York who discovers she has a talent for stand-up comedy, but yet must also deal with the backlash she receives from her traditional Jewish family for pursuing it. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel was created by Amy Sherman-Palladino who also wrote the much-loved Gilmore Girls. Like Gilmore Girls, this show will keep you on your toes. The dialogue and pop-culture references are so quick and witty that you don’t have time to nod off or lose interest. Both seasons of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel are available to watch for free on Amazon Prime.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Third is a throwback to the peppy ABC sitcom Sabrina the Teenage Witch, but with a supernatural horror spin to it. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina the Teenage Witch is indeed chilling as it follows Sabrina Spellman’s journey in navigating between her dual nature of half-witch and half-mortal. The show strikes a delicate balance between a 1960s aesthetic of high-school teenage angst and disturbing witchcraft with a side of evil demons (that may or may not give you nightmares). Don’t get me wrong, this show is weird but in a good way, not weird in a flying-around-on-dragons kind of way if you catch my drift. With cleverness and a whole lot of imagination, this show is a nice escape from normal everyday TV show plots. The second season just premiered this month on Netflix, so be sure to check it out.

The Bold Type

This Sex and the City-ish series focuses on three friends — Jane, Kat, and Sutton — who all work in New York City for Scarlet, an empowering women’s magazine, all the while discovering themselves. It is a great feel-good series that has it all — comedy, drama, and romance — but without feeling too forced. Additionally, the show does not shy away from controversial topics as the girls explore issues of sexism, race, and sexuality. It is refreshing to watch a relatable TV show that deals with politics and issues happening in the real world as opposed to a medieval fantasy world.

Dynasty

Finishing off my list is this modernized remake of a 1980s classic. Dynasty follows the lives of two wealthy American families in Atlanta, Georgia (the Carringtons and the Colbys) as they feud over power and fortunes. The first season deals with Fallon Carrington struggling to become the CEO of her billionaire father’s energy company whilst butting heads with his new wife, Cristal. The show demonstrates the craziness that can lie behind families of billionaires including sex, blackmail, murder, cat fights, and private planes. Think Gossip Girl but for the South (yes, it is on Netflix!). In fact, the show is not unlike the noble dynasties of the Seven Kingdoms in Game of Thrones except you don’t have to witness massacres or suspects being tortured by rats. So, if you want a window into the lives of the ultra-rich, I would suggest Dynasty over the latter.

While Game of Thrones superfans are preparing for the end, you’re just getting started! Happy watching, my fellow “Never Throners”!

Beatrix Brandfield-Harvey is a current junior at the University of Pennsylvania, in the College of Arts and Sciences. She's a Biology major on a pre-medical track. When Beatrix is not stressing over pre-med requirements, attending PhiDE meetings, or giving tours for Kite & Key, she can be caught sharing Facebook articles on women's rights, engaging in retail therapy, and wandering about the campus desperately searching for dogs to pet.