Style > Beauty

5 Insanely Good Drugstore Dupes Better than Cult Classics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

If you love makeup like me, then you probably don’t mind spending a little bit of extra cash on a product that really works for you. However, if you use it everyday, keeping your favorite product stocked can become really expensive, really quickly! That’s where dupes come in – cheaper products that work just as well as their expensive counterparts.

While the original product you fell in love with will always have a place in your heart, something that does essentially the same thing at a lower price is hard to resist. From my personal experience, finding a good dupe is easier said than done, but, luckily, I’ve compiled a list of my favorite dupes to make it easier for you! 

Tarte’s Shape Tape Concealer vs. L’Oreal’s Infallible Full Wear Concealer

The Tarte Shape Tape Concealer is a long-time favorite of many beauty gurus, and for good reason. Its coverage and blendability are unmatched. I have many different concealers, and none of them came close to Shape Tape – until I tried the L’Oreal Infallible Full Wear Concealer.

This concealer ticks all the boxes from the amount of product to the consistency of the formula to the size of the doe-foot applicator. Additionally, at only $13.49, it’s a total steal, and a great alternative for the more expensive Shape Tape.

Laura Mercier’s Loose Translucent Setting Powder vs. Maybelline’s Fit Me Loose Finishing Powder

You can find countless YouTube videos and blog posts praising the cult classic Laura Mercier’s Loose Translucent Setting Powder. I’m personally a long-time user of this product; in fact, it was the first setting powder I ever bought. I love the texture and finish  on my skin, but what I don’t love is its $39 price tag. 

The Maybelline Fit Me Loose Finishing Powder manages to pack the same punch at a fraction of the price. This powder is similarly easy to use and leaves a smooth finish without feeling cakey. The only downside is that there’s no available translucent shade.

MAC’s Satin Lipstick in Rebel vs. Wet n Wild’s Megalast Lip Color in Sugar Plum Fairy

As December approaches, finding the perfect berry lip is imperative for Zoom Christmas parties. Wet n Wild’s Megalast Lip Color in Sugar Plum Fairy is a perfect shade dupe for the popular MAC shade, Rebel, at a tenth of the price. Both lipsticks are super pigmented and beautiful – however, considering its price, the MAC lipstick is a bit creamier, which makes it easier to apply and slightly more wearable.

KVD Vegan Beauty’s Tattoo Liner vs. Nyx’s Epic Ink Liner

If someone told me that the far cheaper NYX Epic Ink Liner was the KVD tattoo liner disguised in different packaging, I would 100% believe them –  that’s how good of a dupe this is. I’ve used both of these liners countless times and, to be honest with you, I can’t tell the difference. Both have a brush tip, which makes it super easy to draw precise lines, and the formula of both liners is pigmented and smudge-proof.

Anastasia Beverly Hills’ Modern Renaissance Palette vs. Wet n Wild’s Color Icon Palette in Rose in the Air

Wet n Wild is the unbeatable champion of shade dupes. The Rose in the Air palette has almost all the same shades as Anastasia Beverly Hills’ Modern Renaissance palette, without the hefty price tag. At just five dollars (compared to $40), this palette is very wallet-friendly. 

Again, the formula of the Wet n Wild palette doesn’t compare to that of the Anastasia Beverly Hills’ eyeshadow, which is known for its pigmentation and blendability. However, the shadows are still high-quality and easy to apply, especially for a drugstore brand. All in all, this palette is a fantastic dupe at an eighth of the price.

There you have it, a selection of some of the very best dupes out there! Looking and feeling your best doesn’t always have to come with a hefty price tag. A dupe can be an amazing alternative to your favorite product and can help you to achieve the look you want without breaking the bank.

Aidah is a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania. She is a planning on majoring in Biology.