cassiemarin
cassiemarin
Photo Courtesy of Cassie Marin
Style > Fashion

3 Ways to Get out of a Style Rut This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

As we head into the winter season, your transitional wardrobe may need a refresh. It seems like every clothing brand, store, and retailer is releasing new lines, especially around the holidays. At the same time, however, all new trends circle back around to welcome the winter season. Our Instagram feeds are bombarded with ads for all–new cozy sweaters, jackets, and the latest and greatest winter pieces, but you don’t need to buy new clothes every season to stay on top of the trends and look amazing! Fashion is circular, and current style icons are living proof of this. You’re most likely to have everything you need in your closet already, especially to emulate recent fashion trends. 

Below are some tips on how you can maximize your existing wardrobe while still experimenting with newer, seasonal trends.

Layering

This is arguably the best way to maximize your wardrobe and wear your pieces to their fullest extent. Since it’s getting colder, this is a perfect way to wear your warmer weather pieces throughout the winter. For example, you may have a favorite silk cami that you wear all through the summer and love. You can now throw it over a sleek neutral turtleneck, and you instantly have a chic winter outfit. 

You can also pair that underneath your favorite transitional button–down for an added layer. Finally, you can wear your favorite puffer on top for a more casual look, or add a classic long coat for a more elevated vibe. 

Jackets

Speaking of layering, colder weather is the perfect time to utilize your jacket collection to its fullest potential — though this tip is also true during late summer and the fall. Jackets can spice up any outfit and make all the difference in creating a new style. You can even layer different outerwear pieces, one on top of another, to add more dimension to your look. There’s no limit, especially in the winter time!

You can start with a simple monochromatic look, but add a cardigan, blazer, and overcoat to make it multidimensional. I also love layering different collars and necklines to create a fun, stimulating look.

Monochromatic Outfits

Another way to elevate your style with existing pieces in your closet is to match like–colors. An all black look is a classic wardrobe staple for me during all seasons. In the winter, a black turtleneck with black jeans is a go-to — a look I like to spice up with (that’s right you guessed it) a jacket! 

You can create a monochromatic look with any color, though. Whatever your favorite color is, chances are you will have a lot of pieces in it. One–color outfits make you look streamlined, chic, and expensive. Also, this is a great option because you’ll never have to worry about your top matching your bottoms! 

A fun way to mix up a monochromatic look is to incorporate different textures. For example, I love to wear my black knit turtleneck with my black leather pants.

With the holiday season upon us, it’s very easy to fall into the holiday tradition of shopping. And while buying new pieces of clothing is always fun, there are other ways to spice up your style without breaking your bank. It’s better for your wallet, and the environment too. 

Minjee Cho

U Penn '23

Minjee is a junior at the University of Pennsylvania studying biology. She is from Malvern, Pennsylvania and loves golfing, cooking, and makeup. She is also very passionate about journalism and women's empowerment.