3 Places to Live After Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.
When asked, most people don’t have a clue where they will be five years after graduation. That’s completely fine. Chances are you won’t be in the place you choose to live right after college. That takes some of the pressure off deciding where to start: key word, some. No worries, you can’t go wrong with whatever place you choose. Here are some considerations to help the process along. 

1. New York City
Two things come to mind when considering moving to New York City: the excitement of living in one of the best cities of the world, and the reality of astronomically high rent. Yes, living in New York City is expensive. Deciding to start out there is also deciding to part with a significant amount of your paycheck just to have food to eat and a place to live. Once you get past the initial shock, of shelling out 3,000 dollars per month for a one bedroom apartment, you’ll find a city full of amazing food, nightlife and job opportunities. 

2. California
Interested in television production or the burgeoning tech world? California is probably the place for you. If you are used to living on the east coast, much kinder weather awaits you. Many cities in California are trendy, perfectly suited for young fun loving people. Trendy, however, equals expensive. California, especially the areas to which most graduates flock, have a high cost of living. There are tradeoffs with every city, but you can’t place a price on great opportunities. 

3. Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, often overlooked by college grads in the past, is now attracting more and more people fresh out of school. The growing population of young professionals has 
created new demand, and pockets of vibrant entertainment have cropped up within the city. Neighborhoods have transformed to meet the modern version of urban living with artisan coffee shops, vegan restaurants and bars with character. If you have serious student loans to consider, Pittsburgh provides relatively low cost of living in addition to city life.

Images courtesy of: Fairplex Insider; Elsoar; Next Pittsburgh.