10 College Lessons From A Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

This is officially my last semester of school. Period.

I have mixed feelings about leaving. On the one hand, I’m excited to embark on the next chapter of my life and gain a new kind of independence. But on the other hand, being a college student is so special. When else will I be able to be this silly, this crazy, this…interesting?

I think part of the problem is that I feel like I still have things left to finish or accomplish at Penn. I have a whole list of “what ifs” that I’ll never have the answers to, a list of goals that I never got to accomplish.

You’re not immune, reader. Someday, this will be you. Hopefully, this will be you. You don’t want to leave feeling fulfilled—you have a whole life ahead of you. It’s important to know that there were certain paths you denied or might like to explore further someday. And you can’t grow without making mistakes—if you leave Penn without a few “what ifs,” then you may not have grown as much as you could have.

Overall, I’ve been really happy with my college experience. And as an (*cringe*) older and wiser member of the undergraduate community, I would like to share my list of top ten lessons I’ve learned over my time at Penn.

Work or volunteer outside the Bubble.

Interning with The Philadelphia Inquirer my junior year was one of the most rewarding experiences I had during my time at Penn. Besides the fact that I got to do what I love—writing articles—I also got to explore the city and work in an environment unaffiliated with Penn with Philly residents. Twice a week, I would take SEPTA to and from work. I started to learn the different train and trolley routes. Reporting required me to travel all over the city. I visited a local food festival, went behind the scenes of a show that employed lambs as actors and saw several crime scenes. I had the privilege of learning different people’s stories and seeing what the city of Brotherly Love had to offer. This was around the time that I started to fall in love with this very fair city.

Taking a job, internship or volunteer work outside the Bubble is rewarding in two ways:

• It gives you the unique opportunity of working closely with Philadelphians and finding out what’s hot around the city from the people who know best.
  • It forces you to step off campus on a regular basis. No excuses, you need to take regular trips on SEPTA and explore new neighborhoods that would have never entered your radar otherwise.

However, if you’re going to do this over the school year, keep in mind that it’ll be a lot of work, so you may want to take a lighter course load or drop a few other commitments.

Either way, GET OUT OF THE BUBBLE!

Believe it or not, University City is not really Philly; it’s “Penn presents Philly.” Everything in this neighborhood is tailored towards college students, meaning pricier restaurants (though “overpriced” may be a better word), a generic atmosphere and Penn gear everywhere. In fact, it’s hard to walk into Smokes without wondering if it, too, is funded by the university. I used to think U City was an accurate portrayal of the city, and I really disliked it. But now, I love Philly so much that I’m going to start looking for jobs here. It has a thriving youth culture and flavor that you have to love. Even if you failed to buy one of those tourist guides before stepping onto campus, you can still check out different blogs and articles about what’s good in Philly, such as this one. Heck, I’m a second semester senior with a two-page list of places I need to go before I’ll willingly leave campus! HC also has some posts on great free and cheap stuff to do around the city, sostart looking for the hot restaurants, shows, events, sights and bars!

Get out of Philly, too. Travel if possible.

By far, one of my biggest regrets is not doing study abroad. In fact, the first time I’d even stepped foot outside the country was over winter break. It turned out to be an amazing experience, and every single one of my friends who did get to study abroad said it was life-changing and eye-opening.

Luckily for us, Penn covers study abroad under financial aid. This means that money is absolutely not a good reason to skip a semester perfecting your Spanish in Argentina or studying Egyptology in Cairo. Concerned about spending money? Consider getting a part-time job before you embark. Penn will cover everything else. And unless you’re a second-semester senior, it’s not too late: you can do a program up to your final semester at Penn—though graduating abroad is not for everyone.

Even if you don’t think you’ll have time in your schedule to go away for a semester, you can still study abroad over the summer (though you’ll have to fight harder for financial aid). You could also consider participating in Alternate Spring Break or volunteering in South America or Africa. Do your research sooner rather than later, and make sure not to let this opportunity pass you by. You won’t have nearly as many travel opportunities once you graduate, and they won’t be nearly as cheap.

Get to know the natives.

Your average Penn student is not a Philadelphian. As much as I love a lot of the people here, Penn students are also disproportionately competitive and, dare I say, sheltered, than a lot of the Philly residents. Don’t be afraid to befriend people outside of the Penn community and to ask them about their stories. Don’t know how to start? Consider taking a class, such as workout classes, or attending ongoing events around the city. You could also try some of the bars in Old City, which tend to be really popping and friendly for twenty-somethings. For those of you interested in social dancing, Jazz Attack and Take the Lead are both great dance venues on or near campus where you can meet people who aren’t from the university community.

Talk to that guy you’ve been eyeing. Talk to that girl who looks too cool for school.

All through high school, I was the socially awkward nerd who would freak out every time a “B” made its way onto one of my exams. I wore unfashionable clothes and the nerdiest glasses imaginable, and my mom wanted me home by dinner most nights. Needless to say, I was a far cry from the popular crowd.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume that many of the students on Penn’s campus had a similar experience. That’s fine, many of us try out different personalities when we arrive on campus and get over old hang-ups about clothing and hairstyles. That said, many of us don’t completely shake off that stigma we carried around throughout our lives as pre-frosh, and it can be difficult to chat with that cute guy in history class or invite the girl with the funky but absolutely awesome nail polish or sweater to hang out. Or maybe you were one of the popular kids, and as much as you’d like to get in touch with your nerdier side and talk to the physics genius sitting behind you or the hot artist with hipster glasses, you don’t know how to start.

Well HC readers, my best advice is to take a deep breath and say, “hi.” The worst that can happen is that the person will blow you off. But more likely than not, you’ll be on your way to a new friendship—or, at the very least, a cool study partner. I know, it’s scary, especially if the person happens to be (eek!) an attractive guy. But we’re adults now, and we need to learn to interact and be friends. We are all, after all, equals. Plus, you might make some very enriching and lasting friendships.

Don’t get stuck in a clique—befriend people who are different! In college, it’s hip to be a square, and cool to be you.

Join a club that’s so different from your personality it almost scares you.

I had a classmate freshmen year who fell asleep at his desk on a regular basis. He was an editor for The Daily Pennsylvanian. He averaged about three hours of sleep per night, and spent long nights (and mornings) in the DP offices. I swore up and down to him that no, I would not step foot into the DP offices because I wanted my sleep and to have a life. His job sounded terrifying and awful.

A year later, on a whim, I applied to be a columnist. I spent the next two years with the DP, reporting and editing with them, thereby exponentially increasing my sleep deficit. I am now an aspiring journalist.

I know what you might be thinking: this is just a DP endorsement.

No, this absolutely is not an endorsement for DP. In fact, I had a very real love-hate relationship with the paper. It’s certainly not for everyone. But taking a risk and joining an organization that originally scared me turned into a life-changing experience. So next club fair, make sure to sign up for a club that sounds interesting but has not been on your radar. Then check it out.

Take some really fun classes that have no place on your resume or transcript.

This semester, I’m enrolled in a film class. Where will I be using these skills? Probably absolutely nowhere. And that’s one of the main reasons I signed up for the class—I wanted to take advantage of Penn’s resources for play, as well as for work.

We spend most of our college—and, let’s be honest, high school—careers trying to make ourselves marketable for the next chapter in our lives. Sometimes, it’s hard to remember that we’re not just cover letters or transcripts. It’s not only preferable, but also crucial, to our development as adults and human beings to do things for fun or personal enrichment. So aspiring bankers, go take a ceramics class. Penngineers, enroll in acting. Nursing and pre-med students, step out of the lab, and college students, take a class that is absolutely opposite from your major but seems fun.

And don’t let grades stop you: if in doubt, go pass/fail or audit your super cool elective.

Don’t forget to actually study.

You’re going to want to spend every moment you can with friends. You’ll likely get into a relationship or college imitation of one at some point, and that’ll be a total time suck. Your clubs will take up your time. Parties and get-togethers will take up your time. And you’re never getting off Facebook or Pinterest ever again. That said, you are ultimately here to learn and get a degree. Preferably, you’d like to keep up a presentable GPA so that, when the time comes to apply for jobs and grad school, you’ll be able to do your thing. It might take some time, but learn your limits and find your study style. Are you a night or morning person when it comes to studying? Do you do better in a quiet library where an innocent cough is met with stares, or in a café in which you’re surrounded on all sides by students who are pretending to study but in reality are gossiping and laughing loudly? Are you a solitary studier, or do you need friends to keep you in check? Spend some time experimenting with different styles. Then, once you find it, pencil in study time. That’s right, take out your agenda and pencil it in. Make that the minimum amount of time you’ll study each week, and be ready to add on time during exam periods. And put those apps on your computer that will take you off Twitter and cat blogs when your attention span starts to wane. Say no to activities that cut too much into work or sleep time.

And don’t forget to actually LEAVE the library!

I spent the greater part of my college career being friends with lots of pre-meds. What did this mean? Basically, on the days when I wanted to chill or nights when I wanted to party, many of my friends already had dates—with their textbooks. Now, I’m not necessarily saying there’s anything wrong with spending part or all of Fling working on assignments, but I’m not saying it’s right, either. You’re only young once. You’ll have lots of time for fun when you graduate, but you won’t be able to get the same delicious-silly-crazy-irresponsible but absolutely necessary overload of fun you’re going to get here. Don’t take that for granted. Know when to leave the library, and be that person who pulls friends out with you. Friends don’t let friends waste their Saturdays.

College is what you make it. Don’t let family or friends tell you what your experience should be like.

Your aunt was in a sorority, so now you have to join that exact same sorority. Your mom taught you not to date outside the religion, but you have other thoughts. Dad expects you to go to medical school. Grandma talked you into replacing your beloved wardrobe with “hipper” pieces circa the 1950s. And let’s not start on peer pressure.

Listen very carefully: this is your college experience, not theirs. Absolutely take everyone’s opinions into account because you never know which ones will be valid, but whatever you do, don’t let others make your decisions for you. Yes, even if you are very independent, you will still make some pretty bad decisions based on some things your parents or BFF from home told you. But you’ll also make your own pretty bad decisions. And that’s awesome.

These four years are all about you. Instead of just trying to live up to expectations, make sure to actually live.

Former editor-in-chief of Her Campus UPenn