The World’s Greatest Celebrations to Check Out Post-Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

After over a year of the COVID-19 pandemic changing the way we work, attend school, and go about our daily lives, social distancing can begin to feel a lot more like social isolation. Zoom sessions and phone calls have replaced happy hours, game nights, and everything in between. Even the most introverted of us are likely in need of a good old-fashioned party, the kind where you’re bound to bump into strangers and standing less than 6 feet apart is necessary to be able to hear each other over the sound of the music. 

We all know that abiding by provincial guidelines is critical to protect the health of our community. In the meantime, however, we can dream about the world’s greatest celebrations and eagerly look forward to the many more that will be held in the future.  

Oktoberfest

Where: Munich, Germany 

How Long: 2 Week Period

When: Ends on the first Sunday in October

Originating in the early 1800s in celebration of a Bavarian royal marriage, the first versions of this festival didn’t actually feature food and drink; back then, the festivities were focused on a horse race and state agricultural fairs. Now, you’ll see upwards of 7.3 million litres of beer from Munich’s finest brewers poured every year throughout the duration of Oktoberfest. Combine that with song and dance, popular German dishes (think sauerkraut or bratwurst) and iconic brews and you’ve got a timeless fall feature that draws in millions of visitors annually and has even inspired local versions such as the annual Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest

Coachella

Where: Indio, California

How Long: Two consecutive 3-day weekends

When: Mid-April

This annual festival takes place in the Coachella Valley and serves as a backdrop to hundreds of influencer’s Instagram photos every April. More than that, however, Coachella provides music lovers with the chance to hear from dozens of their favourite artists. Past headliners include Drake, Kanye, Gaga, and Beyonce. Beyond the music, Coachella offers you the chance to try delicious and eccentric foods, model trend-setting outfits, ‘rough’ it out in luxury yurts, or simply party late into the night with thousands of like-minded strangers. 

Carnival 

Where: Brazil and around the world 

How Long: 4 days

When: Friday before Ash Wednesday to midday on Ash Wednesday

Known as “The Greatest Show on Earth”, Brazil’s Carnival is a celebratory period that leads up to the fasting season of Lent, or the 40 days prior to Easter. While this holiday is celebrated in different ways around the world, nobody does it like Brazil. There are several carnivals across the country, the largest takes place in Rio de Janeiro. There, nearly 2 million people gather each day to enjoy the festivities. Visitors and locals alike, regardless of whether you celebrate Lent and Easter, will enjoy delicious foods, samba music, dance performances, parades, and colourful costumes. 

Mardi Gras

Where: New Orleans, Louisiana

How Long: 1 day

When: Before and through Christian day of observation Shrove Tuesday; usually takes place in early March. 

Like Carnival, Mardi Gras is a day of indulgence and celebration prior to the fasting season of Lent. Mardi Gras translates to Fat Tuesday, a nod to the last time that Roman Catholics were able to enjoy rich foods before giving them up Lent, sometimes also referred to as Pancake Tuesday. Now, a trip to New Orleans during Mardi Gras might greet you with revellers dressed in purple, green, and gold, these are the traditional colours of the festival which symbolize justice, faith, and power. You’ll also be met with music, dance, comfort foods, and of course the infamous parades where beads, medallions and other trinkets are thrown from floats to party-goers. 

Calgary Stampede 

Where: Calgary, Canada 

How Long: 10 days

When: Beginning the first Friday of July

This list wouldn’t be complete without a nod to one of Canada’s greatest celebrations: the Calgary Stampede. The Stampede has grown significantly since its humble beginnings in 1886. This was when the first Calgary Expedition was held by the town’s Agricultural Society during a time when only around 1000 people called Calgary home. Now, the festival hosts millions of visitors annually who can expect to enjoy parades, an exhibition, midway, market, and of course the heart of the festival: the rodeo.

3rd Year Human Resource Management student at the University of Ottawa