you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Whether you’re starting your first co-op job or your first post-grad internship, you definitely want to put your best foot forward and seeing as you’re academically ready, why not be fashionably ready as well? Here are some ways to style work attire and accessories, while still keeping it business professional.

Blazer

From the beginning of time, when cave people first walked into cubicles, they did so in blazers. Take this traditional piece and pair it with a matching pant set or go with a non-black option to try something different.

Backpack

Laptop plus documents plus lunch does not equal the small space a briefcase has to offer. This is why the backpack has become the most efficient work bag for the 20th century businessperson. Keep it classy, yet fun with a black matte bag that comes in various fun shapes.

Dress Pants

Thanks to modern fashion, this work attire now comes in countless different patterns and shapes so you’re never bored with your options. Try a boot cut fit or a boyfriend style for a new take on an old classic.

Turtle Neck

Not only is this insanely cute but it’s also insanely practical, especially when walking to the office in the middle of winter. Pair this underneath a structured sweater or a tuxedo jacket for that extra layer of warmth.

Patterns

Just because it’s work doesn’t mean you can’t have a little bit of fun. Go for the standard work attire but mix it up with patterned pieces to achieve that business casual look.

White Shirt

If it’s not broken, why fix it? A white button up looks good on its own, layered, tucked, and literally any other way you can think to style it. Go for a silk piece to play up a favourite staple.

Flat Shoes

A pair of heels are great, but sometimes a good pair of flats are exactly what you need when you’re making your way downtown. Go for a solid nude or black, or try pairing a bright colour with monotone outfits.

Overall just make sure you’re comfortable! Your first job is a new experience and one you want to be able to enjoy. So whatever work attire you choose, make sure it’s stylish but still in your comfort zone.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Vanessa is a writer on the Fashion & Beauty team at the University of Ottawa Her Campus Chapter.She is studying Social Science with a double minor in Economics and Public Administration. In her free time she loves to write, read, dance, and explore the city.
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.