Winter Skin Dos and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Trying to get through winter is tough enough already; you don’t need your skin acting up too. Whether you have dry, combination, or oily skin, you need to pay extra attention to your face as the temperature goes down. This article is here to help you figure out what to do and what not to do to your skin in this harsh weather.

DOS
DO drink lots of water! Water is your friend because it will keep you hydrated and your skin will show it. Water also helps your body get rid of toxins which can show up on your face. Staying hydrated is a great way to prevent winter dryness.

DO moisturize, even if your skin is considered oily. People with dry skin are already very fond of moisturizer, but I know how scary it can seem to people with oily skin. You have to remember that your skin might be overcompensating by producing more oil to ensure your skin doesn’t go dry. Using a moisturizer morning and night will help tremendously with oil production and skin texture. It will also protect your skin from the winter weather.  

DO exfoliate at least twice a week. I can’t stress enough how important exfoliating is. It will help get rid of dry, flakey skin and help your skin renew its cells. It will also help your moisturizer and/or serum penetrate deeper into your skin. Exfoliating will greatly improve skin texture and can be done easily with an exfoliating glove or a facial scrub.

DO invest in a good hydrating mask. Face masks are like a magic potion for your face; they can rehydrate your skin in about 15 minutes. Hydrating masks are great for all skin types and they don’t make your skin oilier. Moisturizers can help prevent your skin from getting dry, but even they sometimes can’t help with dry patches that occur because of the weather. Masks contain a lot of helpful ingredients that not only help with hydration, but are also great for dullness, anti-aging, scars and brightening.

DON’TS
DON’T use body lotion on your face. Body lotion is not made for the thin and sensitive skin on your face because it is heavy and can clog your pores. It also contains harsh fragrances that can cause allergic reactions and rashes. The breakouts are not worth it. It’s better to get a moisturizer made for the face.

On the same note, DON’T use petroleum jelly or vaseline as a moisturizer either. It does not hydrate; it only makes the outer skin feel soft while preventing other products like moisturizers and serums from actually penetrating the skin. It’s also water-resistant, making it hard to remove and can build up on your skin, causing breakouts. Vaseline is also a byproduct of petrol and prevents cell regeneration.

DON’T overly use powders. Try creams and liquids instead. Some concealers, if used in smaller amounts, don’t need to be set with powder, and if you absolutely need to, use less powder. Instead of powder highlighter, blush and contour, use cream products. Powder absorbs oil and can dry out your face, especially in the winter weather. Save the powders for the warmer months and turn over to cream and liquid products.

DON’T let hairspray get on your face. Although it is tempting to overdo the hairspray to prevent the snowflakes from ruining your ‘do, do your best to not get any on your face. Not only is hairspray meant for your hair and not for skin, but it can do some serious damage to your face. Hairspray contains alcohol, which is very harsh on your skin and can cause rashes and dry out your skin. By letting hairspray get on your skin, you are drying it out even more and possibly clogging your pores, causing breakouts and also rashes.  

DON’T use hot water while washing your face or while showering. If possible, cold to lukewarm water is the best temperature to shower with to help with your skin, hair and the environment. If you absolutely have to shower with hot water, do warm water at most. It can help to gradually go colder and colder every time you shower to get used to it. Hot water can dry out your skin and is too harsh to use on your face, especially while washing it with an already strong face wash. Also, try to not steam your face as much; twice per month maximum to keep your skin hydrated and healthy this winter.  

These are only a few tips and tricks for battling the winter weather. There are a lot more ways to ensure hydrated skin, but by following these do’s and don’ts, you are sure to prevent dry, flakey skin. If all else fails, make sure you go see a dermatologist because they know best. Winter is tough, but we can get through it one moisturizer at a time!

Sources: Cover