Fur Coat And Beanie
Fur Coat And Beanie
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus
Style

Winter Hat Hairstyles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

For those with longer hair, wearing a winter hat can be a struggle. Figuring out how to stuff (or not!) your hair into a toque can be annoying, but wearing a hat also brings a whole lot of hairstyle opportunities. Of course, there are plenty of alternatives to winter hats, such as winter hairbands or earmuffs. However, wait until you feel the -40°C wind blow your ears away – you will wish you had found a way to fit a warm hat into your winter overall style.

girl in the snow
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

Ponytails

How about instead of changing your hairstyle to fit your hat, you change your hat to fit your hairstyle! As crazy as it might sound, some winter hats are made with a gap where you can slide your ponytail through. A simple, easy style,  and above all, a warm way to keep a decent hairstyle while keeping your ears snug.

Braids

Why not, right? Whether you prefer wearing two braids or one, braiding your hair under your hat will give a vibrant and cute little touch to your winter look. For an even more stylistic look, try braiding your hair from the top of your head to create a braided frame to your winter hat.

Low buns

This one gets sometimes a little tricky to pull off since usually winter hats come with warm scarves. Scarves go up your neck, and low buns go down your neck. The problem here? Your bun can’t be loose or it will be gone in seconds. However, low buns with winter hats turn out to be simply a marvelous combination. 

How about 3 buns?!

Wanna try something a little uncommon? Try twisting your hair into 3 low buns. This hairdo is actually much easier to do than it seems. Instead of tying up your hair into one simple bun, separate it into 3 sections, then twist and tie them up. Feel free to make use of bobby pins or numerous elastics to have this stay. This hairstyle creates a frame to your winter hat – which turns out to be quite stunning.

Go loose!

Of course, leaving your hair untied is one of the simplest options. Now you get to play with curls, waves – whatever you wish and feel like doing with your hair. That option is simple and does not require a whole lot of thinking. 

Fourth-year journalism student at UOttawa & La Cité, Rebecca is Senior Editor for the HCuO chapter—entering her fourth consecutive year with the team.
Taylor is a 4th year student at the University of Ottawa studying Political Science and Philosophy. In addition to writing for Her Campus Taylor is the President of the University of Ottawa Equestrian Team, Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus uOttawa and the Vice President of the Ontario Collegiate Equestrian Association. Taylor spends her weekends competing with the team, and when she's not in class she can be found studying on campus. Taylor loves coffee, and tending to her plethora of plants.