Winter is Coming, Ottawa!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.
When you mention winter to people in Ottawa, you may notice their bodies tense up and their faces grow solemn. As Christmas comes near they will warn you…

With the -40 degree weather and strong cold winds, it’s easy to forget how great our nation’s capital is during this season. But forget no longer! Let me share with you what it’s like for us winter lovers. 

1. Snow.  Now I realize snow isn’t specific to Ottawa, but what is winter without snow? As soon as those first few flakes fall from the sky we’re like…

2. The Rideau Canal: the world’s largest skating rink!

Just think about how some cities are lucky to even skate in circles on an outdoor hockey rink, whereas we get to skate along beautiful scenery with warming stations, hot chocolate, and snacks. The canal also gives us a reason to be thankful for the cold weather. 

3. BeaverTail [noun]: a delicious mouthful of pure goodness and perfection; addictive; mouthwatering; the perfect snack for a day on the canal; did I mention perfection?

4. Winterlude; A whole festival dedicated to celebrating winter. When else would we get to marvel at beautiful ice sculptures? 

5. NHL Games. Whether you’re a Sens fan or not, being able to watch NHL games right here in our city is exciting. Not many cities in Canada have that privilege.  

6. Close proximity to ski hills. Actual ski hills that are more than a bump in the road.  

Bundle up collegiettes because winter is coming. What are some of your favourite things about winter in Ottawa?

Resources

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Rebecca is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa studying Biomedical Science with a minor in business.