Why You Should Consider a Tesla for Your Next Car

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

OK, I know what you’re thinking, but hear me out. 

I know it seems expensive – that’s because it is. 

But, there really are so many amazing things about this car that make the Tesla worth worth saving up for! I am a little biased, though. My boyfriend drives one, and because of his love for the car and company, I pretty much know everything about Tesla too. So, I am here to give you some of the best facts that prove to you why it should be your next car (or your dream car!) and why you should consider an environmentally-friendly option like Tesla next time you visit the dealership!  

the inside of a Tesla model 3
Original photo by Madeline snider

Image Description: The inside of a Tesla Model 3

The Safety Features 

Tesla cars are one of the safest on the road right now. The car has eight surround cameras and 12 ultrasonic sensors that provide drivers with a host of advanced emergency braking and general safety features. Additionally, Tesla’s batteries are placed directly beneath the center of the vehicle, meaning its center of gravity is extremely low and the chance of the car rolling over in a bad accident is almost impossible. The front of the car does not have an engine, and instead acts as a storage area (the frunk), but more importantly it is a large crumple zone, that protects the driver and passenger in the case of a head on collision. These features, and more, enable Tesla to have the highest safety ratings of any vehicle currently on the road. 

It’s Actually Cost Effective in the Long Run

While the vehicle may come at a higher cost upfront, Tesla’s cost advantage – like many other electric car models –  comes in the long term. This is because you are not paying for the forever fluctuating gas prices; instead, your cash goes towards a minimal charge on your electric bill for charging your car at off-peak periods. In addition, electric cars like Tesla have fewer moving parts, which requires less maintenance such as oil changes and brake work, among other things. Many people worry about the longevity of the vehicle’s battery. However, in reality, a new battery in a Tesla today should last over a 1.5 million kilometers. Not many other cars could say the same. 

It’s SO FAST 

There are many fast cars out there on the road, however not many cars besides the Tesla can claim that they can accelerate from 0 to 100km/hr in anywhere from 5.5 to 2.1 seconds to depending on the model. This makes it the perfect option for any adrenaline-loving drivers with a need for speed!

Tesla Model 3, image has been edited to not show the plates of the car
Original photo by Madeline Snider

Image Description: A Midnight Silver Model 3

Autopilot

Personally, I’m still not completely sold on this feature, but according to many Tesla owners, it is one of the best parts of owning this car. Basically, Teslas allow you to put your car into autopilot. Which means…exactly what you think. The car drives itself. Although, it does still require a person in the driver’s seat. The driver on city streets or the highway can put the car into autopilot which allows the car to drive and keep the speed that the driver sets, change lanes, and start and stop at either red lights, or when the car in front of them slows down. But, please note: this does not mean the driver gets to look at their phone, watch videos, or sleep. Autopilot still requires the driver to place their hands on the wheel every few seconds, so that if necessary the driver can take over. However, this is a great feature for long drives on the highway, allowing the driver to be able to sit back and relax, without worrying about speeding or staying in their lane. 

Yes: you can actually watch Netfllix in the car 

(No, not while it’s moving). Even though charging the car at the supercharger – when you’re not charging at home – only takes a short time for  a full battery charge, a great way to relax while your car is recharging is catching up on your favourite Netflix show. You can quickly watch a 20 minute episode or even break up a longer show into multiple parts. If you’re not about Netflix, you can also watch Youtube, or even open up the internet browser and head to Disney Plus, Crave, or whatever your favourite streaming service may be. Another option while you’re charging is checking out the built- in arcade games within the car. 

Environmentally Friendly 

Tesla is a completely electric car, which means it requires no gas. This is one big pro to getting an electric car (specifically Tesla) due to its simple, but extremely effective way of helping the environment! In fact, electric vehicles like the Tesla release around three times less than a conventional car, according to Carbon Brief. Tesla’s environmental mission doesn’t stop there; the company’s 2019 Impact Report outlines a plan to address the recycling of Tesla batteries, their water usage, and overall impact of Tesla’s production process on the planet. If that’s not enough to convince you, as of January 2020, Canadians that own “zero-emissions vehicles” – which includes battery-electric and plug-in electric cars – are eligible for financial incentives and tax write-offs. Moral of the story: environmentalists – I strongly encourage you to check out Tesla’s impressive green track record! 

A Different Kind of Gas 

One of my personal favourite things about the Tesla is the whoopee cushion. Yes – the car has a fart button! There is a button in the car where you can choose different fart noises to emit from your choice of seat in the car. Now, the best part of the whoopee cushion is the fart on turn signal option. You can turn on the whoopee cushion to emit sounds from a specific seat every time the driver uses the turn signal, with the fart noises occurring with nearly every signal noise. It always gets lots of laughs, and overall just makes the car better. 

But this isn’t all! There are many more amazing features to Tesla’s different cars that are just as attractive. Overall, Teslas are still a bit pricey, but with the amazing safety features, no gas, and ability to play games in the car, it really is worth it. If this is something you can afford, I say go for it! 

Maddie is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa majoring in History. She is a major fan of Friends, and The Office and is a geek for all things history. Maddie loves food, relaxing, and her cat.
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!