Why YOU Should Attend Purple Passion for Cystic Fibrosis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Purple passion is an annual fundraising event thrown by a local sorority by the name of Xi Delta Theta each February. The event is used to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis. Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease that ravages the lives of thousands of children and young adults annually. One out of every 3,600 children born in Canada will have the disease. Here are some common questions surrounding Cystic Fibrosis:

What is Cystic Fibrosis exactly?

“Cystic Fibrosis is a cureless disease that mostly affects the digestive system and lungs. The degree of cystic fibrosis involvement differs depending on the person. However, the persistence and ongoing infection in the lungs, with destruction of lungs and loss of lung function, eventually causes death in the majority of people who have cystic fibrosis.

Typical complications caused by cystic fibrosis are difficulty in digesting fats and proteins; vitamin deficiencies due to loss of pancreatic enzymes; and progressive loss of lung function.” (excerpt from the Cystic Fibrosis website).

What exactly is Purple Passion?

Purple is the representative colour of Cystic Fibrosis. Purple Passion began in 1999 to honour a sister, friend and all round member of the sorority, Amelia Lee L’homme, a Carleton student who tragically died from the disease in June of 1998. Amelia Lee L’homme was an active member of her community whose spirit, charisma and positive energy was taken too soon. Purple Passion is a pub night in her honour that raises money for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Tickets are $5. There is also a raffle draw that attendees can take part in. Raffle tickets will be sold during the event at a cost of $2 each or 3 for $5, with great prizes to be won.

When is purple passion?

This year purple passion will be on Friday, February 6. The ladies of Xi Delta Theta are well aware that Capital Hoops falls on the same day. Why not end your celebration by attending Purple Passion? That way you can have fun and do some philanthropy of your own. The event will be at Tequila Jacks which gives you a lot of incentive to give back and use it as your own personal after party.

Check out the Facebook event page, here.

How you can get involved with cystic fibrosis fundraising throughout the year?

There are many ways you can get involved with Cystic Fibrosis throughout the year. The universities of Ottawa (uOttawa and Carleton) do a great job of supporting Cystic Fibrosis through Shinerama. If you have any questions about Shinerama talk to your local SFUO or CUSA representatives or your faculty associations about getting involved.

After watching Capital Hoops (or whatever plans you have that day) throw on your favourite purple outfit and head on down to Tequila Jacks to have some rowdy fun and help raise money for research!

References:

http://www.cysticfibrosis.ca/about-cf/what-is-cystic-fibrosis/?lang=en

https://www.facebook.com/ical/event.php?eid=884652011599606         

Communications student university of Ottawa Writer artist musician