Why You and Your Birth Control Should Be BFFs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

There’s no denying that sex during your university years is almost guaranteed. Whether it’s with that cute bartender you met the night before or the guy you’ve been dating and can’t seem to get enough of, the truth is, whether you’re just hooking up or in a relationship, safe sex is always a good idea. But while condoms are great there’s nothing like the pill.

It goes without saying and assuming you’re using it correctly, birth control offers ridiculously reliable protection against unplanned pregnancies.

Avoiding unplanned pregnancies isn’t the only perk birth control offers. Researchers at the Guttmacher Institute, a family planning organization has found that women who regularly use birth control as a form of contraception tend to have more years of education under her belt and greater economic stability. They also form better romantic partnerships. (You can’t argue with science)

The pill also has many healthy side effects like lowering your risk for some cancers, such as ovarian cancer and uterine cancer. It also helps regulate your menstrual cycle and lessens PMS symptoms like those killer cramps. Not to mention the pill helps with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, endometriosis and contributes to a clearer complexion.

And of course the pill is a great backup for when the condom breaks.

So go ahead and pop the pill, your uterus will thank you.

Sources:

Guttmacher, American Society for Reproductive Medicine

Picture Credits
Cover Picture, 1, 2, 3, 4