What To Expect from Netflix’s Upcoming Film, ‘Damsel’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Netflix just released the teaser trailer for their new fantasy genre film, Damsel, coming out in March 2024, and I cannot wait! So here’s what to expect:

The actor’s strike is finally over, which means films are underway again! Now you can look out for many new trailers that are finally being released, along with actors being able to promote their upcoming movies! One future release that has stuck out to me is Milly Bobby Brown’s Netflix movie, Damsel. The teaser came out in November, and it’s already got me hooked.

Damsel, directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, follows Princess Elodie, played by Milly Bobby Brown, who marries a prince, just to then be sacrificed by the royal family to an eerie cave in the mountains where a supposed dragon lives. Now, with the teaser being the only trailer out so far, we still don’t know much or have a lot to go off of, but I do know it looks very intriguing. Actors seen in the trailer include Milly Bobby Brown, Nick Robinson, Angela Bassett, and Robin Wright. They really knocked it out of the park with this one, as the teaser is very intense and shows so much without giving too much away. And, using “Run From Me,” by Timber Timbre as the song in the trailer makes the story look all the more mysterious. 

What I like about this film is the way it seems to tackle the fantasy genre. The title reminds me of the popular phrase, ‘damsel in distress,’ although, the story seems to take a contradictory approach to the meaning of that phrase. While the saying, ‘damsel in distress,’ is usually defined as a woman in need of help, and in many fairytales, preferably from a prince, this film does not look like it follows that storyline. There’s a major difference between this movie and the type of fairytale stories that we are used to. This ‘damsel’ (Princess Elodie) seems to be put into this dangerous situation by her supposed prince and instead of giving up, we see throughout the teaser that she takes control of her situation and builds strength and independence as a princess to try to escape the circumstances she was put in. I admire how this film takes a new approach to fairytale stories, making the woman protagonist gain independence and take control herself, with no help from anyone. Milly Bobby Brown seems to do this a lot in the roles she tends to play, like Eleven from Stranger Things, and Enola in Enola Holmes

This movie looks exciting, and not predictable, which I love! While Netflix has yet to come out with the film’s exact release date, I’m sure we will start to see more promotions start to come out for it, as well as more trailers and possible interviews with the director and actors who play a role, to learn more about Damsel, and the idea behind this fascinating storyline.

Kelly Hoban

U Ottawa '26

Kelly Hoban is the lifestyle editor at Her Campus for the uOttawa chapter. She enjoys writing articles about films, books, and anything pop culture. She is currently in her second year at the University of Ottawa, majoring in Communications with a minor in Creative Writing. In her free time, she loves to play tennis and enjoys reading and writing. When she’s not writing, she’s probably watching a new film!