This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

There’s something so taboo about sex toys, so I’m making it my job to inform you about them. Whether you’re looking to buy your first toy or want to know more about the wide variety of toys available, you’re in the right place!

The different types

There are multiple types of sex toys available on the market. The first thing you should determine before buying one is what kind of pleasure you want. If you know what makes you finish, focus on that type of toy. Otherwise, you can grab one that will please both the G-spot and the clitoris.

G-Spot

Only a few types of products stimulate the G-spot. But there are a ton of those products available on the market, so don’t worry! Your first option is dildos. They don’t vibrate and can be made from silicone or glass. These will require more effort on your part because you need to physically move them as you wish. But they’re perfect if you’re missing your other half. The other option is vibrators, which vibrate inside of you. You won’t need to put in as much work because they’ll be slightly more stimulating right off the bat.

Clitoris

The clitoris is the main sexual organ that will trigger an orgasm, therefore, there are multiple options to stimulate it. Bullet vibrators are usually beginner-friendly toys since they’re small and usually not too loud. They’ll stimulate the clitoris by vibration. Another toy that tends to be pretty silent is the suction toy. These will pulsate against the clitoris and will amuse the clitoris by creating a light “push-and-pull” sensation. If you liked the bullet and want to upgrade the vibration sensations, the next step would be vibrators or wands. They both operate by vibrating against the clitoris—the only difference is their shape! Be warned! Vibrators/wands are slightly louder and others might be able to hear them from a nearby room. I would suggest talking to a clerk for their professional opinion if you’re buying them in a sex shop.

Both

If you don’t know what kind of stimulation you prefer yet or simply don’t have a favourite, rabbit vibrators could be great for you. They will stimulate both the G-spot and the clitoris at the same time. Some will have two vibrators whereas others will have a vibrator and a suction part for the clitoris. I can’t personally tell you which one is better because it all depends on individual needs and wants, so at this point, it is a trial-and-error process.

How to take care of them

Here are some quick tips on how to care for your toys, because they can be really expensive and you wouldn’t want to ruin them early on. In terms of soap, you should buy one that is specifically made for sex toys because the silicone can disintegrate. The same goes for lubricants. If you think you will need lube, make sure you buy one that is water-based because a silicone-based one will damage the sex toy.

Remember that sex toys are by no means necessary, but there is also no shame in owning one or multiple. They can also get expensive, but you don’t have to start with the most expensive ones because the cheaper toys also do the job! Sex toys can be great on your own to spice up intimate moments with someone else. Some of the toys I presented could even be controlled from a distance by a partner. Do your research, talk to the clerks working at the sex shop and, most importantly, have fun!

Maude St-Pierre

U Ottawa '25

Maude is a third-year Second Language Teaching student. She always complains that she's lacking money, but is always willing to spend it on tattoos or concerts! If she's not at a concert venue, you can find her buried deep in the most recent murder mystery book trending on booktok.