What to Get Your Bae for Valentine’s Day Based on his Love Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Based on the popular relationship book, The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman, the modern human tends to express and interpret love mainly in one of five different ways. These different representations of love are called the five “love languages” (aka how other people can most effectively make you happy, which seems like invaluable information). If you haven’t heard about this yet, you and your boo urgently need to take the quiz on his website. Turns out, knowing what your boyfriend prizes in a relationship is super convenient when it comes to gift shopping. Get him to take this quiz then you can match his main love language to the ultimate V-Day gift for him using the information below.

1. Words of affirmation

Actions don’t always speak louder than words. A guy with this love language loves to have sweet nothings whispered in his ear. If this is your bae’s love language, your best bet at a successful Valentine’s Day surprise is probably one of those “28 Reasons Why I Love You” jars that are all over Pinterest. If the thought of arts and crafts is a little too extra for you, consider hiding a few notes around his room or even in his lunchbox. If you truly can’t bring yourself to write that stuff down, plan an evening around a hobby he introduced you to, then spend the entire evening saying things like, “I love you because I never knew how much I loved Dungeon & Dragons until you showed it to me” or “I love you because of how amazing you are at Dungeon & Dragons.” Basically, turn the focus on the tangible ways he’s improved your life, and he’ll be feeling like Pablo by the end of the night.

2. Acts of service

Regardless of your actual quiz results, I recommend telling your boyfriend that this is your primary love language. If you’ve found yourself this kind of man, he’s probably annoying as hell to date 99% of the time. To this kind of person, you express your love by doing things for them that they technically were meant to do themselves, like vacuuming their room. On the upside, buying gifts for people in this category is surprisingly simple. Opt for one of the ten million delivery services designed to make life easier, and it’s like you’re doing a chore for them every time the package arrives. To decide which one, pick whatever adulting activity seems to stress them out the most and shop accordingly— food delivery services, a dry-cleaning gift card, or even a monthly shaving kit. Anything that saves him a trip outside his dorm will be a win.

3. Receiving gifts

If your SO speaks this language, the perfect gift or gesture shows that they’re cared for and prized above all. Gifts are visual representations of love and are highly cherished. Unfortunately, when I said that knowing your boyfriend’s love language will make gift shopping easier, I actually meant four out of five times it does. This type of dude is defo high-maintenance. He feels most loved when he receives thoughtful and spontaneous gifts or surprises from you (aka you’re not allowed to ask him what he wants, but don’t get it wrong). It’s also important to note that his quiz results caution that the “absence of everyday gestures” would be “disastrous.” So here’s what you need to do; you’ll have to try to temporarily inhabit your boyfriend’s brain whilst trawling the internet for anything super old and “limited edition”. Unfortunately, I don’t know your bae so you’re on your own for this one

4. Quality time

Three words: full (and) undivided attention. Time with this bae should be distraction-free and interactive (yes, this does include turning your iPhone off.) Your first pick should be a weekend trip if possible, but other fun quality-time evenings include a beer-tasting or even taking a campus yoga class together. Just skip the usual movie date where you don’t exchange more than 10 words all night.

5. Physical touch

A person whose primary language is Physical Touch is (surprise, surprise!) super touchy-feely. Cuddling, hand-holding, and an incessant death grip on your shoulder or waist are all ways this guy shows excitement, concern, care, and love. So, even though his arm around your waist while walking makes you look like you have a limp and increases your chances of falling over by 200%, it’s all in the name of love. After all, physical touch creates a sense of security and belonging in all relationships. Good gift options for this boyfriend include a nice set of sheets, since you probably spend most of your time in bed, and blocking out a solid six hours for Valentine’s night *cough*. Wear something pretty!

Now that your Valentine’s Day crisis is officially averted, you’re all set to click “order” and return to cramming. Prepare to feel smug when it’s gift-exchange time—then promptly return the attention to where it should be, on you. 

Sources: Cover,

23 / coffee aficionado / local plant and fashion enthusiast / food before dudes / currently completing a bachelor's degree in Lettres françaises et éducation ❤️