Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What to Expect in a Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Long distance relationships can be tough. And they’re not for everyone. There’s no need to sugar coat it or make it sound better than it is. Being miles away from your significant other is far from the ideal situation. However, with the right attitude and relationship dynamic, you and your sweetheart can make it work without the headaches. I’ve been in a long-distance relationship with my boyfriend for the majority of our relationship – around 2 or 3 years now. I’m not saying I’m a pro or anything, but here’s what I’ve learned over the years. 

Like any other relationship, a long-distance relationship is going to require a bit of effort from both parties. 

Since you live hours away from your S/O, you are essentially living completely separate lives for the most part. Some may view this as a plus, some as a con. You’re able to be independent and do your own things while still having all the love and support of a relationship. You don’t have to try and find a way to incorporate your S/O into your Friday night out with the girls so they don’t feel left out at home. Instead, you can do your own things and call and tell them all about it later. For some people, this is a plus. But on the other hand, if you really want to make plans that involve your S/O, such as a date night, you have a bit of a problem. Like I said, you live completely separate lives so they’re not just a short drive away. This is where it gets tough. Not physically being with your partner is hard, and it definitely takes some getting used to. 

But just because they’re not physically nearby, doesn’t mean you’re off the hook. The relationship will still require both of you put in effort. This means phone calls, texts, Facetime, etc. – all of this will allow you to connect with your partner and allow your relationship to grow. Speaking from experience, calling them daily makes a difference. That way you can tell each other about your day and share all of the little stories and experiences you’ve had. It’s all the little things you share with your partner that make you guys feel so close – right? They’re supposed to be your go-to. Distance won’t change that. Always remember they’re just a phone call away. You’ll still feel connected with your partner and they’ll be a part of your everyday life. Also, when you finally do see them you won’t have to play catch up.

It makes the time you spend together more special. Ever heard the saying “absence makes the heart grow fonder”? They weren’t kidding. Although it sucks not seeing your sweetheart all the time, when you do see them it’s so much more special. It is something you can look forward to together. 

It’s about trust and honesty.  This is a really important part. If you can’t trust or be honest with your partner, it won’t work. This may seem hard at first, or like you’re taking a leap of faith, but with the right person and the right relationship dynamic, trust and honesty can come pretty easily. If this is an issue with the two of you, expect some hiccups down the road. It takes time to develop trust. 

There will be ups and downs. Like any relationship, you’re bound to go through some rough patches. But since you live so far away, this is where communication is key. Miscommunications can be so easy when you only speak over text or on the phone, so always be honest and clear with your partner. And when you do experience a conflict, don’t hang up on them and ignore them for days. Work through it together and keep an open mindset.

At the end of the day, long distance relationships are not ideal and pose some challenges. It will definitely take some getting used to. But if you and your partner are both committed to making this work, it won’t take long for you guys to get into a good rhythm where you are both happy with the relationship. Expect some challenges at first, but if you work together you can make this work. 

Elly Walsh

U Ottawa '22

Elly is a second-year Biomedical Sciences student at uOttawa. When she's not in school you can usually find her outdoors or curled up at home with a cup of coffee and a book.
Taylor is a 4th year student at the University of Ottawa studying Political Science and Philosophy. In addition to writing for Her Campus Taylor is the President of the University of Ottawa Equestrian Team, Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus uOttawa and the Vice President of the Ontario Collegiate Equestrian Association. Taylor spends her weekends competing with the team, and when she's not in class she can be found studying on campus. Taylor loves coffee, and tending to her plethora of plants.