sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Every Collegiette Should Know About Breast Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It is the most common cancer diagnosed in women. One in four women over the age of twenty will be diagnosed with cancer. One in twenty-nine women in Canada will die from breast cancer. We always say “It will never happen to me”, until it does. With statistics like that, it is extremely important for young women to be aware how serious breast cancer is. 

What is breast cancer?

Breast cancer is the growth of cancerous cells or a tumour found within the breast(s). Some factors that cause breast cancer are inherited. For example, genetic mutations, in which your body repairs cell DNA once it has already been damaged. 

Your breasts go through many changes throughout life, especially during mestruation or pregnancy. These changes are normal and are usually not signs of cancer. But just because they are normal changes, does not mean you should be unaware of your breast health. If you notice any change in the look or feel of your breast(s), report them to your doctor. 

The breast tissue does not only cover your breasts. It extends to your collarbone from the armpit and to to the breastbone. There are many types of breast cancer that can occur in different tissues in your breast(s). 

What causes breast cancer?

There is no single cause of breast cancer. Researchers believe that a combination of environmental and inherited factors cause cancer to develop in the breast(s). Environmental causes affect us throughout our entire life. The environment we live in, the lifestyle we live, the amount of physical activity our body gets, and being exposed to chemicals that can change cell DNA are just some examples of environmental causes. Although we know this information, there is still much research that needs to be done for us to truly understand more about breast cancer and its causes. 

Risk Factors

Breast cancer risk factors can increase someone’s chances of developing breast cancer. Researchers look for factors that seem to be found in people who develop breast cancer compared to those who do not. One research study is not enough, it  often leads to much more questions in which the field needs to be explored. There are numerous risk factors that are linked to developing breast cancer. Knowing what these risk factors are can help us change our lives and reduce our chances of developing breast cancer. 

Some risk factors are more common in case studies of breast cancer than others. Although certain risk factors have been identified, it does not mean that these risk factors are a direct cause to the disease. 

Not all risk factors are equal. Some factors have a greater effect on developing breast cancer than others. Someone may have a higher risk factor than someone else, and not develop breast cancer at all. Some women whom are diagnosed with the disease may not have any of the risk factors. Each case is different!

Knowing the risk factors can help you change your lifestyle and reduce your risk of developing breast cancer. Just simply modifying your physical activity or increasing your physical activity can help!

Unfortunately, there are some factors that you will not be able to change, such as the genes that you have inherited or your age.

Reduce your chances!

As mentioned before, your lifestyle influences your risk of developing breast cancer. Your lifestyle choices are moulded by different factors. For example, where you live/work, your income, the quality of the air you breathe, your housing standards and public spaces. By living a healthier lifestyle, you can reduce your chances of breast cancer. Maintaining a healthy body weight, having a well balanced diet, limiting the amount of alcohol you consume, quitting smoking, not exposing yourself to toxic chemicals in the environment and exercising are all ways to live a healthier life.   

We may not have all the answers now, but that does not mean we cannot be aware of the disease. The more you know, the better. Taking precautions for your breast health, and well being, can reduce your chances. Changing your lifestyle for the better is also key. Eat well, get enough sleep, exercise and take care of your breasts! The Her Campus team here at U Ottawa knows how important it is for young women to do what they can to reduce their chances. To help researchers understand the disease, they need more funds. To learn more about the disease or to donate go to: www.cbcf.org

Resources:

http://www.cbcf.org/ontario/AboutBreastHealth/Pages/default.aspx

Photo credits:

http://bestwallpaperhd.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Pink-Guy-Tie-Party-kicks-off-Breast-Cancer-Awareness-Month-Wallpaper.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1413286/thumbs/o-BREAST-CANCER-FACTS-facebook.jpg

http://powerfulweightlosstips.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/healthy-life-style1.jpg