This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

With 35.16 million people in Canada, it is no surprise July 1st roars with fun and excitement. Here in our nation’s capital, the downtown streets, normally packed with beeping cars, hipster teens, and government officials, is cleared out as suits and labels are put aside for the parade of red and white. On July 1st 1867, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and the Province of Canada, were united into a single country. This union was a result of the Constitution Act that granted Canada independence from England and eventually, Canada shed its dependence on the United Kingdom. Canada did not become fully independent until 1982, the same year that Canada Day became an official holiday. Not only are OC Transpo busses free for all on Canada Day, but all national museums and galleries are free as well. With that being said, there are droves of activities in store to exhibit freedom and unity.

1. Parliament Hill

Parliament Hill draws in hundreds to thousands of Canadians dressed in red and white and filled with thrill, excitement, and patriotism. The Canada Day festivities on the Hill run from early morning to night with ceremonial events, shows, activities, fireworks and much more. This year MAGIC!, a Canadian reggae band known for their smash hit single “Rude,” and Kiesza, a Canadian musician known for her smash hit single “Hideaway,” among multiple others, will be joining us for the free Canada Day show on the Hill as we count down to fireworks at 10pm. Kiesza was most recently in Ottawa, for the first time at Ottawa’s annual GlowFair Festival where “The Sound Of A Woman,” was heard beautifully on all corners of Bank Street. For a full list of the Canada Day events on the Hill, click here

The main stage on Parliament Hill 

2. Red & White Canada Day Paint Party

If you are 19+, this event is for you. Known for their electric events and shows, DNA Presents teamed up with Liquor Store Party Bar and Greenroom to host a Canada Day paint party. The first 100 people in line receive a water gun filled with paint. Get ready to be doused in red and white while dancing to the lively beats and rhythms supplied by Montréal based EDM DJs Paris & Simo. Known for their smash hit singles “Nova” (dropped by Hardwell at Tomorrowland) and “Wait” in collaboration with Tom Swoon. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at DNA Live’s website. Come down to Greenroom at 130 York Street and have the time of your life. The Facebook event can be found here.

3. Tequila Jacks Presents: Canada Day

This 19+ event presented by Tequila Jacks, Corona and Budweiser is advertised as the only place to be for Canada Day night. With music by DJ Drew, head over to 104 Clarence Street to dance all night. The Facebook event can be seen here.

4. Major’s Hill Park

Head to Major’s Hill Park to celebrate Canadian culture for all ages. Featuring a variety of cultural performances, displays and exhibits, you can be both spectator and participant as there are lots of activities to suit everyone. Major’s Hill Park is located directly beside the National Art Gallery of Canada or up the steps beside the American Embassy. There will also be a free Canada Day shuttle bus connecting this site to Jacques-Cartier Park in Gatineau. For the list of events, click here

View of the Rideau Canal locks from Major’s Hill Park

5. Jacques-Cartier Park

An event for all ages, Jacques-Cartier Park is turned into a play day. Although this event is for all ages, it is particularly meant for children aged 3 to 12. The Canada Day fun includes games, physical activities, performances, inflatable slides and more. Jacques-Cartier Park is located in Gatineau, next to the Canadian Museum of History. As mentioned above, a free Canada Day shuttle bus connects this site to Major’s Hill Park in Ottawa. For the full list of events, click here.

The Canadian Museum of History

Photo Credits: 

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and cover photo

A media addict, an activist, a music lover, a singer, and a nappy haired black woman. In the great words of the queen, "I sneezed on the beat, and the beat got sicker." Always believe in the greatness of yourself. Nothing, is impossible. Twitter: @annettesings01 Tumblr: annetteejiofor.tumblr.com Blog: HonestlyAnnette.wordpress.com
Zoe Crego

U Ottawa '17

Zoë held the position of President of Her Campus at uOttawa from 2015-2017 and was a Senior Chapter Advisor. She graduated from the University of Ottawa in 2017 and has pursued a career in the Canadian federal public service. She is very grateful to Her Campus for providing a creative outlet while studying and believes her experience with Her Campus helped her grow professionally and personally.