Waxing vs. Shaving: Which do you prefer?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We add the shaving cream. We then strategically decide which area is best to start our surgical shaving methods that we’ve practiced since we were twelve. We then slowly push and give a good pull up the desired area, until a clean and smooth surface is left on the fertile landscape of our bodies. Many of you are probably familiar with this routine: the repetitive shaving method that we always seem to do. Some only need to shave every other week while others carry the awful burden of having to shave every other day. Well, I’m here to inform you of an alternative solution to those who feel like they’re constantly shaving as well as to those that may have more sensitive skin than others. I will discuss the pros and cons of both shaving and waxing, and even provide alternative hair-removal solutions that are available.

EPILATION (aka Waxing): |ˌepəˈlāSHən|: (noun) the removal of hair by the roots.

Pro:

• Removes hair for more than a few weeks.

• Pulls hair from the root, leaving behind a super smooth surface

• Can do it at home (or in a salon)

• Hair wont grow back as thick or as fast

• Gets rid of black stubble and dead skin

• No razor cuts or burns

• Constant waxing weakens hair follicles which results in fewer hairs growing back in those areas.

Con:

• Can cause in-grown hairs (there are creams available that help prevent or remove these)

• You have to wait a few weeks till hair grows back (At least ¼ inch)… NOT CUTE

• Painful process… Beauty is pain, ladies!

• Waxing can become quite expensive… especially salon quality.

• You either have to schedule appointments, or you do it at home. As well, the preparation time and heating process takes a while until it’s ready to apply (if you use wax that requires heating, instead of waxing strips).

• Once waxing, there’s a slight chance one can be more susceptible to bacteria or infection because there’s a new layer of skin that is more vulnerable to contact with bacteria getting caught in your pores. 

SHAVING: /ˈSHāviNG/: [with obj.] cut the hair off (a part of the body) with a razor: she shaved her legs.

Pro:

• You can shave when your hair is any length

• This is a faster hair removal process

• Easier for those with lower pain tolerance

• Can shave any time, anywhere – you don’t need to wait to book an appointment and it doesn’t have a long waiting period like when heating wax.

Cons:

• Grows back thicker and faster! However, if it’s been a while since you shaved, then it can take a while to remove all the hair in the desired area (whereas, waxing takes all the hair off in one take).

• This can also be an expensive hair removal process, because every month or so you constantly have to buy more razor blades and shaving cream.

• Shaving only removes the surface hair, while waxing actually rips from the root of the hair follicle. 

Still unsure which method you should be using? Still not convinced that one is better than the other? Well each method has their pro’s and con’s, and it really depends on your skin type, and which method you are most comfortable using. There are also other types of hair removal techniques that have been used by many people, such as sugaring, hair removal cream, laser hair removal, etc.

Here are some comments from our readers and HerCampus members to help you decide which method is right for you:

For me, it’s a seasonal thing. I wax mostly during spring and summer because I know I’ll be exposing my body the most during those times. I shave in the fall/winter the most because I also have less time and am more busy. BUT, I always make sure I’m hairless one way or the other ha ha” – Ravneet

I use only ‘Nair Hair Removal Cream’! The bottle costs me about $8 and it lasts for about 4-5 months. I apply it on my legs for 10 mins and then, to remove it, I just need to step in the shower and it’s all gone. The results last up to two weeks. I don’t have the time and energy to use a razor. Plus, im so eager to finish that I always end up cutting myself.” – Gloria

Sugaring!!! Doesn’t pull the skin like wax does, removes dead skin cells and, therefore, exfoliates. I’m all about the sugar!” – Lynn

SUGARING!!!! It’s a lot more gentle than waxing and has the same results as waxing (i.e lasts anywhere between 4-6 weeks, the hair grows in less the more you do it, etc.) Also, a negative aspect to sugaring is that the esthetician has to roll the sugar onto your hair and then she will pull against the way your hair grows in order to pull it out so it hurts A LOT in more sensitive areas but the pain only lasts for like 30 seconds!” – Zoë

I shave using a men’s razor. Because it works better and I’m afraid of waxing.” – Elizabeth

I find when I shave, I get ingrown hairs so I wax or use creams… I have done the self Brazilian several times, and I would rather self Brazilian than self wax my legs.” –Caitlin

I shave my legs because I can do it at any time and it’s a lot less painful. I’ve talked to a few people who’ve said that they get razor bumps and so they prefer to wax, but you won’t get razor bumps if you shave in the direction of the hair” –Jayda

Waxing, because stubble is never fun.” – Sarah

I prefer shaving, because: 1. It’s not painful 2. It never gave me a problem with ingrown hairs 3. Fast and easy 4. The wax I bought never worked well. I would need to buy salon quality products.” – Danielle

I would prefer waxing because it last longer and in the long run it would be cheaper because I wouldn’t need to do it as often. But overall I prefer shaving, because it’s not painful, it’s easy to get, doesn’t take long, like I don’t need to plan in advance to get waxed at a salon or something and it’s not messy” – Marjorie

Credits: 1 2 3 

Hey my name is Madison, and I'm a fourth year English & Communications major at the University of Ottawa. I love fashion, beauty, and anything health related! I'm a frequent blogger (yay for tumblr), painter, writer, vinyl collector, traveler, shopaholic, and a hopeless romantic.