7 Movies to Watch if You Love the Holidays but You’re not Quite Ready for Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you love Christmas but you’re not ready to watch real, undeniable Christmas movies, we’ve compiled a list of almost-Christmas movies. These are the perfect movies to watch if you’re not quite ready to settle into the holidays just yet.

For the Romance Lovers: When Harry Met Sally
When Harry Met Sally
Castle Rock Entertainment

This movie is the perfect rom-com. It has everything: friends to lovers, iconic scenes, and of course, a New Year’s Eve party. Even though it came out over 30 years ago, it still holds up. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal star as the titular characters, who try to see if a man and a woman can actually just be friends. Although the concept may be a little dated, the film is nostalgic and always rewatchable, even if it’s just for the amazingly cozy sweaters the characters get to wear.

Little Women

I will probably never stop raving about Little Women, whether it’s the book, the 1994 film, or the 2019 film. Although it’s not explicitly a Christmas movie, the whole atmosphere of the piece screams coziness. And the beautiful Massachusetts scenery only adds to the homey feeling that this movie brings. The way Little Women plays out makes it a perfect film for the transition from fall to winter.

For action lovers: Die Hard (1988)

This may be one of the biggest film debates: is Die Hard actually a Christmas movie? It will never be settled, but it has found its place on this list. If you love catchy one-liners, suspenseful action sequences, and exciting villains, this movie is for you! It might be a little dated, but it’s always a good time.

Harry potter

Many of the Harry Potter films have Christmas scenes, and usually, they include the beautiful Hogwarts Hall, featuring its classic Christmas Feast. Even if it’s not an actual Christmas film, it’s incredibly nostalgic and the perfect film to watch with all your friends and family.

For comedy lovers: Mean Girls
Mean Girls phone scene
Lorne Michaels Productions

We all know this one. Even though the majority of the film doesn’t revolve around the wintertime, there’s still that one well-known “Jingle Bell Rock” scene. What’s not to love? Even though it’s nearing its twentieth anniversary, it’s still super funny and iconic.

The Chronicles of Narnia

Get your hot chocolate and Turkish delights ready to watch this movie. Set in a magical winter wonderland, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe follows the Pevensie children as they are sent on a quest to save Narnia from the evil Snow Witch. Like Harry Potter, this one is most likely nostalgic for some, but it truly is an enjoyable fantasy film.

You’ve got mail

I’ve included another older rom-com on this list (which also has Meg Ryan, coincidently). But differently, this film has an enemies-to-lovers plot involving two rivalling bookstore owners. Perfect for the holiday season, this almost-Christmas film shows how online dating worked in the 90s.

That concludes our list of almost Christmas movies! It’s not an exhaustive list, but still includes some great movies. Watch these films to ease into the Christmas season before the cold finally settles in!

Hi there! My name is Natasha and I am a second-year English student!