Walk in her Shoes: Empowering Women to Change the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Although international women’s day has come and gone, the opportunity to be reminded of the millions of women worldwide who fight for equality, justice and peace remains present. Starting March 8th and continuing until the end of May, CARE Canada is hosting the third annual “Walk in her Shoes” campaign. Walk in her shoes aims to provide Canadians with the chance to walk in solidarity with women around the world. It gives Canadians everywhere the opportunity to relate to women in developing countries who are forced to walk over 8000 steps (around six kilometres) each day for basic necessities.

The average Canadian citizen walks about 2000 steps a day. We walk to class, to Tim Horton’s, to the bus and to our parked car without really thinking about the steps we are taking. Walk in her shoes challenges Canadians everywhere to take 8000 steps a day and to walk in women’s shoes living in a developing country. Sounds like a fun and fit challenge right? Here’s how it works.

Walk in her shoes can be done as an individual, a team or as a part of a school or workplace. First you must join. Visit the Walk in her Shoes website or follow this link:   http://careca.convio.net/site/PageServer?pagename=wihs_2013_landing#.UT5vqRw3uuo to register for CARE’s Walk in her Shoes. Follow the simple instructions there and you are set to start participating in the Walk in her Shoes campaign. It costs $20 to register and in your registration package you receive a Walk in her Shoes T-shirt and a pedometer to track your steps each day.

The next step is to simply pick 8 days between now and the end of May where you will walk 8000 steps a day. In order for this campaign to help women in developing countries it is also important to alert as many people as possible and ask for donations. CARE Canada’s website is equipped with many fundraising tips and tricks to help jump start your fundraising campaign.

In Ottawa, 9 year-old Chloe Baker has made her own video in hopes of encouraging friends, family and classmates to support her walk. She also plans to sell bracelets she made to her friends and give the proceeds to walk in her shoes.

The University of Ottawa does not have an organized team, but it is never too late to start one. So grab some buds interested in creating change and supporting a good cause and register your team of Gee Gees on CARE Canada’s website!

But where does the money you work hard to raise go and what does this money actually do for the women in developing countries? The money raised by Walk in her shoes participants helps CARE to create projects that reduce the amount of time women spend walking to obtain simple necessities such as food and clean water. They provide food and clean water near schools and homes and also equip women with tools and skills to grow food themselves. This allows women and girls to spend more time at school, earning an income, caring for their family, and helping their community overcome poverty. By walking with CARE Canada you can help women and girls lift themselves out of poverty forever. Accept the challenge and step up for women and girls everywhere. However, the campaign is also a chance to remember women and girls in our own countries that have no access to food and water in reasonable distances. Take this campaign as a way to bring solidarity with women and girls from all around the globe.

Photo credits:

www.care.ca