uOttawa Pop Orchestra Orchestrates a Midnight Fairytale Costume Ball

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

On Friday February 20th, the University of Ottawa Pop Orchestra hosted its first Midnight Fairytale Costume Ball. Over 100 people took part in the enchanted evening that was complete with masks and finery and costumes galore, waltzing and music and dancing and more.

Huguette Labelle Hall in Tabaret was completely transformed into a grand ballroom that had people reminiscing of the lavish party scenes from Disney movies. Doors to the ball opened at 6:30pm that night and treated guests to a marvellous time that lasted until the stroke of midnight.

The University of Ottawa Flute Choir made its debut performance at the event, welcoming guests with their delicate tunes. The choir was established just this semester and consists of a number of players from the pop orchestra as well as from the general university population.

One of the main highlights of the evening was the waltz lessons that were offered. Guests had the good fortune of being taught by the wonderful Marina Martynenko of Pure Dance Ottawa; with her instruction, everyone was swaying and twirling around the room. Perhaps not all the guests would say they were the most graceful of dancers but many will readily say that it was loads of fun.

A string quartet, featuring the orchestra’s very own conductor – Mark Kleyn – on the viola, was present to serenade guests with lilting melodies and sweet harmonies.

When the clock tolled at 9:30pm, a live DJ turned the tables and offered guests some different tempos and rhythms to dance to.

Dedicated volunteers and the ball’s planning committee prepared a gourmet spread of light appetizers and refreshments that were served throughout the night. Additionally, a number of lucky guests left with some pretty incredible items they won at the raffle. Prizes included gift cards to The Loft Board Game Lounge, gift baskets from The Tea Store, and a one month unlimited gift card to Pure Yoga.

The University of Ottawa Pop Orchestra was founded in 2012 by Mathieu Roy, who hoped to be able to provide non-music students at the university with the opportunity to play in an ensemble. Starting off with only roughly 20 musicians in their first year of formation, the orchestra has since expanded to include 60 members. These musicians study in a number of different faculties at the university ranging from Science to Arts to Telfer.

At their last winter concert, true to their name, the ensemble performed tunes from Frozen and Anastasia as well as several selections from more classical repertoire that included Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite and Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony. Their year-end spring concert will be taking place on Thursday April 9th. The ensemble’s previous concerts have catered to a full house and rumour has it that there may be some more Disney songs lined up so you should definitely mark down your calendars.

The University of Ottawa Pop Orchestra is a registered club with the SFUO and is not associated with University of Ottawa’s school of music. For more information about the ensemble, like their Facebook page or visit their website.

An undergraduate student in her final year of study at the University of Ottawa, Melissa Poon is studying English and French as a Second Language with the hopes of working in publishing in the future. She has a passion for storytelling and finds it supremely fulfilling to bring the stories of others to life with a selection of choice words, a dash of character, and a touch of light humour.