UO App: Tunnels on Campus !

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The University of Ottawa’s guide to … tunnels on campus !

Underground tunnels: One of Carleton’s greatest arguments as to why their university is superior to U Ottawa. But some may be surprised to discover that U of O has its own fully functional tunnel system. These interconnected buildings and underground tunnels are one of UOttawa’s best kept secrets… take that Ravens! This is a quick and easy to follow guide to keeping warm on your walks to and from class as well as avoiding the sub-zero temperatures and frost bites. 

The majority of buildings here at Ottawa U are interconnected. Connected buildings are marked by a yellow arrow inside a blue circle, so when in doubt look for these signs. Starting at Laurier Avenue and working down towards SITE, we will unveil the mystery of UOttawa’s interconnected buildings and tunnels.

The closest buildings to Laurier Avenue that start the chain of interconnected buildings are Perez and Leblanc residence. Perez is connected to Morisset Library via the second floor. Leblanc is connected with Fauteux which in turn connects with Brooks. Next, Morisset is connected with the University Centre through the ground level floor and also the second floor. Thompson residence is also connected to Morisset and Fauteux also through the second floor. The University Centre then connects to Montpetit which connects to Lamoureux which finally connects to Vanier, all through the second floor. Vanier also connects to FSS through the fourth floor. Whew, what a mouthful… If this description didn’t quite do it for you, check out Access Services map to the interconnected buildings on campus: http://www.sass.uottawa.ca/includes/pdf/access-passerrellemap.pdf

You may have already figured out on your own that most of those buildings connect, so here is the pièce de résistance: an underground tunnel connecting SITE, Colonel By, Mac Donald and Marion. Starting at SITE take the passage way on the second level towards Colonel By. Once in Colonel By, head downstairs to the basement and walk straight out of the doors to section C. There you will find the familiar yellow arrow and blue circle pointing down the hallway. This hallway is the underground tunnel that will take you to Mac Donald and Marion. As an added bonus the tunnel is super easy to follow, just walk straight. If you are directionally challenged like myself, check out University of Ottawa’s map website. It has a feature where you can pick the warmest route to get from building to building. http://www.uottawa.ca/maps/

UOttawa’s mystery of tunnels, exposed! Put this new information to good use and avoid the treacherous weather, windchill and a numb face by using these handy passageways. Stay warm fellow Gee-Gees!

Photo credits:

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/vestis/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Harvard-Students-keeping-warm-590×390.jpg