UO App: Making New Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The University of Ottawa’s Guide to…Making New Friends

University can be an overwhelming experience, especially in first year. Indeed, with classes, ample amounts of readings, exams and papers, making friends on a big campus can feel like mission impossible, but your new best buddies are closer than you think ! Here are a couple of tips to help you out.

On-Campus Involvement

A good starting point is by getting involved in university: it is one of the easiest ways to meet new people with interests similar to yours. The University of Ottawa offers more than 100 student clubs and associations on campus. From recreational or academic clubs to sororities, the SFUO has it all. You can browse all the clubs offered at the University of Ottawa and find additional information about joining the clubs that appeal to you at www.sfuo.ca/clubs. You can also get involved with your program’s student association, which offers opportunities from joining the executive to being a 101 week guide. Do not be afraid to take a look at the university’s website, facebook or even check out the flyers posted around campus and consider them a chance to get involved ! Those people are always more than happy to talk to you and get to know you!

Sporting Activities

Sports and physical activities are also open to all students and are a great way to meet new friends. The University of Ottawa is home to 18 competitive clubs ranging from water polo to fencing, which are always looking for new participants. The University of Ottawa also has a wide variety of intramural teams if you are looking for a low commitment and fun focused atmosphere. (Check out www.geegees.uottawa.ca for more info!) This does not mean that you have to be a varsity athlete if you are interested in making new friends. If organized sports are not your thing, try signing up for an aerobics or a yoga class to relieve a little bit of that midterm stress and make a friend or two. There is nothing like a good Gee Gee’s sports match to build camaraderie! Tickets for these events are usually sold at Sports Services and well advertised, so keep an eye out for games that interest you. Students’ associations also host a wide range of events and parties that provide you with chances to make friends with others that are in your program and classes.

Workfriends

Getting a part time job could allow you to form common bonds and friendships with your coworkers and give you a little extra spending money too! There are lots of positions geared towards students on and off campus, so print off some resumes and get yourself out there!

Communication

This may seem obvious, but the fact of the matter is you cannot make friends without communication. Casual conversation and introducing yourself can go a long way and is the first step in forming close friendships. So put yourself out there and do not be afraid to go to anything alone, you will be surprised how easily forming new friendships is and how university is truly the best time of your life. 

Focus on the Real Deal

According to Oxford University Professor Robin Dunbar, you are actually only able to maintain about 150 friendships. When in a new environment, you meet so many new faces and people, therefore make sure to focus on keeping the “real” friendships. Researchers from the University of Pennsylvania have found that people tend to categorize their good friends as the ones that have been there for them and have listened to their sorrows in rough times. So trying to have social outings and keeping in touch with all the people you have met in the past couple of weeks, might not be the best to enable you to manage your busy schedule and will not allow you to actually get to know them. Finding people with the same interests as you is the best way to create long lasting friendships, so whether you are interested in Politics, Mathematics, video games, sports or arts, find what suits you best and get yourself in that environment. University students tend to be more outgoing than in High School and are always “down” to meet new people !

Photo Credits:

https://www.facebook.com/UNICEFuOttawa

Jason Blenkarn

References:

http://www.indianexpress.com/n…