UO App: How to Survive Ottawa’s Bone-Chilling Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

By: Jessica Dempsey

The leaves are quickly falling. The temperature is getting colder. The evenings are getting darker.  It’s becoming more and more tempting to spend your entire day in bed…simply because it’s warm and cozy. It’s safe to say, winter is well on its way back into our lives.

It’s hard to believe that only four years ago I moved to this beautiful city; I now feel like I’m a winter veteran of the city of Ottawa. However, this was not always the case. I made plenty of mistakes my first winter here, like wearing Ugg boots in the dead of winter – never again. I learnt quickly and reacted quicker, and so will you.

You may not know this, but Ottawa is notorious for having one of the coldest and most brutal winters in Canada, mainly because of the high wind chill factor which gives you that bone-chilling feeling whenever you’re outside. After surviving four Ottawa winters, here is a list I have put together for those of you who will be experiencing your first winter here in Ottawa:

1. Check the daily forecast

One of the most important things you need to add your morning routine is to check the weather network. Ottawa winters can be unpredictable – so try to check the morning forecasts and be prepared for whatever Mother Nature will throw at us this winter.

2. Dress in layers

Ottawa is extremely humid, making the winters here even colder; dressing in layers is crucial to dealing with this.

You will notice that the weather outside can be brutally cold and the classrooms at uOttawa are heated accordingly – aka: they can be brutally warm. Dressing in layers will keep you nice and toasty while you’re walking outside, and keep you cool while you’re in class.

3. Wear all the winter accessories

Keep all your bits covered by wearing all your winter accessories: mittens, hats, scarves, etc. This will save you from getting frost bite, and keep you looking cute in the process!

4. Ugg boots will not cut it

I had to learn this lesson the hard way. Wearing Ugg type boots in the deep snow, slush and freezing rain will not cut it. Save yourself the frozen toes and feet and invest in a pair of Sorel boots or boots that are made to deal with this kind of weather. Your feet will thank you.

5. Invest in a good winter coat

When it’s -40 outside with the wind, snow and ice blasting in your face, you will be so thankful of a good, down-filled, winter coat that covers your bum! If a Canada Goose, or Aritzia coat is a little out of your budget, Sears Canada is now selling a down-filled winter coat for a little over $150!

6. Snuggle up and watch your favourite seasonal movies

Since it’s cold, you now have even more of an excuse to snuggle up with a cup of tea and watch your favourite seasonal movies – “The Holiday”, anyone?

7. Take advantage of the winter activities going on in the city

One of my favourite things about Ottawa winters is that there is always so much going on in the city. Winterlude, skating on the canal, ski hills, uOttawa winter activities …the list goes on.

Although the winter in Ottawa can be a little long and scary, take advantage of the season and get yourself involved in all of the amazing winter activities the season has to offer.

Photo Credits:

http://mybuddyabroad.wordpress.com/category/tips/

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/55033/p1020841e.jpg

I'm Jess - a recent comms and sociology graduate from the University of Ottawa. I am currently living in London, England and figuring out life as I go along.My passions in life are travelling, food, languages, beer, sports...did I mention food?Instagram: @jdemp029Twitter: @jdemp029