lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Untraditional Valentine’s Day Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right ‘round the corner. Time for lovers to gift the gifts of chocolate, jewellery, and extravagant declarations of love to the apple of their eye. A day for significant others to exchange sonnets and roses and hearts. As we continue to move away from the strict gender roles of the past, the traditional perception Valentine’s Day can seem pretty archaic.

Valentine’s Day can be a lot of fun as a day to stop and bask in the love between you and your partner. Here are some untraditional things to do.

1. Do the ol’ Netflix and chill
While it’s definitely okay to enjoy extravagant presents, sometimes it’s nice to just chillax, watch a movie, and cuddle on the couch. It’s midterm season, you’re both under stress, so you simply need to relax. Give them a scalp massage and watch with a smile as your partner melts into a puddle with Star Wars ‘pew pew’s playing in the background. (I’m not the only one who’s watched Star Wars when they Netflix and Chill, right?) But seriously. Scalp massages help relax your muscles and your mind. They are absolutely heavenly.

2. Go on a day trip
If you can swing it, going on a day trip and then making dinner and taking a nap together is so much fun. Chat until the wee hours of the morning, or do other things. V-day’s on Sunday this year, so take the chance while you can!

3. Do something you’ve always wanted to experience together
I’m a music nerd sometimes, so mine would be to go to a bunch of NAC concerts in one day. What do you like to do? Plan something and go do it! Be kids together, go snowshoeing, give each other a makeover or even go on a dessert-only date.

4. Spruce up the gift exchanging process
Play some gift exchange games. Do a scavenger hunt, play Monopoly with different gifts as rewards. Take each other on a shopping spree. I get Sephora, you get Amazon. You get Urban Outfitters, I get Steam. Be creative!

Really though, take the day to appreciate your relationship. It’s easy to let the ooey gooey feelings fall into the background in our day-to-day bustling life. 

Picture Credits

Cover Picture, 1, 2, 3, 4

Scarf collector and exotic foods connoisseur.  Toronto, uOttawa.