Unraveling the History Behind Famous Monuments: The Statue of Liberty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Welcome back to another article in this series, featuring the forgotten pasts of famous landmarks of the world! The first article in this series discussed the romantic history of the Taj Mahal, a monument so grand that it invites millions of tourists each year. In this article, we will delve into the story behind the existence of a landmark that will surely be recognized by almost everyone on planet Earth: The Statue of Liberty!

I would say that almost everyone has heard of the Statue of Liberty. It is an internationally recognized structure that is thought to embody liberty and is often referred to as lady liberty. What many people may not know though, is that the statue is actually not of American origin. It was a gift from the French, who thought to build something to commemorate the independence of America as it won in its fight for independence. It would also serve as a way to honor America’s friendship with France. No pressure at all for the next time you want to give your friend a gift! The idea was proposed by Edouard de Laboulaye, a French political figure, and anti-slavery activist. The idea was proposed in 1865 and was put into action by the French sculptor Auguste Bartholdi in 1870. That means it took five years of refining and planning for the idea to become action; no wonder it became such a famous landmark!

Another not well-known piece of information is that the full name of the statue is actually the statue of “Liberty Enlightening the World”. That was shortened down for obvious reasons by the public, it’s a mouthful! The construction of this monument began in France and the construction of a pedestal was made in America on a place that was decided by Bartholdi on a trip to the US. He placed his creation on Bedloe’s Island so every ship that entered New York Harbor would be able to witness his creation and the embodiment of Liberty. Bartholdi also felt that New York Harbor was the “Gateway to America”, thus the perfect place for the statue. The statue was completed and dismantled to be shipped to America. The grand unveiling of such a monumental statue happened to take place on a foggy and rainy day, but that didn’t stop a million Americans from showing up. So, on October 28, 1886, the historic unveiling took place and to this day, the statue of liberty is an image ingrained in the minds of people when they think about America.

Rimshah Abid

U Ottawa '23

A biomedical sciences student who has a passion for writing, science, and art. Hobbies include soccer, bullet journalling, and painting.