This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

New year, new TV show? If you’re tired of watching the same old shows in 2018, start of 2019 on a fresh note and give one of these ten shows a try! 

1. RuPaul’s Drag Race

One of my favorite discoveries of 2018, RuPaul’s Drag Race is a must watch! Now with 7 seasons available on Netflix, RuPaul’s Drag Race is a reality competition where contestants compete to be “America’s Next Drag Superstar”. The competition tests contestant’s charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent through a variety of tasks including acting, comedy, fashion design, dance and singing. The show contains something for everyone whether you prefer comedy, drama, or reality and each season has a whole host of memorable characters. My favorite aspect of the show is that the bottom two contestants each week engage in a Lip Sync for their life! The Lip Syncs are always extravagant and at times shocking, but always add an extra dimension to the episodes and contestants. Halleloo!

2. Bob’s Burgers

Bob’s Burgers is a light-hearted comedy that follows a family of five that have a burger restaurant. Full of witty one liners and thoughtful puns, the show never fails to have me crying from laughter. You’ll fall in love with each member of the family and the adventures that they take together! Episodes are only 22 minutes, so next time you have half an hour give this one a try!

3. BoJack Horseman 

Netflix’s BoJack Horseman is a darker comedy that takes a real look at mental illness and how childhood family dynamics can effect you later in life. The show follows BoJack Horseman, a former TV sitcom star as he tries to navigate post-fame life and get back to what he once was. The show strikes a good balance between comedy and real life as it takes on difficult topics such as miscarriages, family abuse, alcoholism and death. The show takes a very gritty and eye opening turn in season 5 that will leave you thinking and raises some serious questions about our perceptions of mental illness. Definitely a must watch! 

4. Nailed It!

This Netflix original takes amateur bakers and tries to get them to recreate professional masterpieces, with disastrous results! This show is absolutely hilarious and great to watch when you’re feeling down. The show is hosted by comedienne, Nicole Byer, and offers the opportunity to learn about baking techniques in a comedic and easy to digest way! 

5. Travels with my Father

Another Netflix original! Travels With my Father follows British Comedian, Jack Whitehall, as he travels around the world experiencing the “gap year” that he never had, but with his father in tow! The two make a very dynamic duo and provide different perspectives on other culture’s traditions and events. Not only is it a great travel show and comedy, but it also highlights the special bond between father and son. 

6. Manhunt: Unabomber

Manhunt: Unabomber is a drama loosely based on the real life hunt for the American terrorist and manifesto writer, Ted Kaczynski. The series follows FBI agent and criminal profiler, Jim “Fitz” Fitzgerald, as he tries to track down the suspect and develop the field of forensic linguistics along the way. The show offers dramatic twists and turns that will keep you guessing until the very end! It also provides an interesting look at how linguistics can be used to solve crime and how a single word can say so much about an individual. 

7. Brooklyn 99

Brooklyn 99 is not your traditional cop show! The series follows the detective squad of the 99th precinct as they attempt to solve crimes in New York City and navigate the ridiculousness of everyday life. With iconic and highly quotable characters like Jake Peralta, Captain Holt and Gina Linetti, the show is comedy gold that is guaranteed to be one of your new favorites! 

8. Doctor Who

Doctor Who is a sci-fi series that has been around since 1963, took a short break from 1989-2005, was re-booted in 2005 and since has been better than ever! The show follows ‘The Doctor’ who is a time lord (an alien race that can travel anywhere in time and space) and their companions as they go on amazing adventures! Every couple of seasons we get a new Doctor with the latest being the first ever female, starring actress Jodie Whittaker. In the latest season, the Doctor and her companions, Graham, Ryan and Yasmin, have seen witch trials, met Rosa Parks, gone to alien factories and much more! The show is stunningly beautiful and contains storylines that are inspirational, heartbreaking and joyful all at the same time. 

9. The Great British Baking Show

The Great British Baking Show is a baking competition where amateur bakers compete in challenges to wow the judges and be crowned Britain’s Best Amateur Baker! The show features amazing bakes, technical skills and contestants who you can’t help but fall in love with! My personal favorite part of the show is the comradery that forms between the contestants as they help each other out and want to see each other succeed! The show has always had amazing hosts with Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins as the originals, that were recently replaced by Noel Fielding and Sandy Toksvig! Everyone on the show consistently demonstrate positive attitudes, perseverance and innovation that we can all apply to the challenges in our own lives! 

10. Chef’s Table 

Netflix’s Chef’s Table is a documentary series that tells the personal stories of inspirational chefs, while highlighting key dishes from their restaurants. The series demonstrates innovation in the culinary world and all of the hard work that goes into running a restaurant. The imagery and storytelling featured is beautiful and calming to watch. If you’re feeling stressed out and need a break Chef’s Table is a must watch to put you in a relaxed state of mind! 

What shows do you recommend we watch in 2019? Tell us on Twitter at @HCuOttawa!

Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.