The Turkey Dump: What It Is And Why You Should Be Considering It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

What is long and strong and ends at thanksgiving? A high school relationship. The phrase “turkey dump” may not be in many University of Ottawa students’ vocabulary but after this thanksgiving weekend it might just become a frequently used expression. First, let’s go over exactly what a Turkey Dump entails for those readers who aren’t following. A turkey dump is when one (or both) of the members of a relationship have gone away to university and during this very weekend head home to enjoy a turkey dinner and lose the high school sweetheart.

Many people who have dated an older person who has gone off to university know that the phenomenon is completely real. Perhaps they met someone new, are just too busy, can’t deal with distance or want to enjoy the brand new sea and better fish. Whatever the reason, dumpsgiving is coming soon, but why get on the band wagon?

University is a world different from all others. When first year students go home for the first holiday of the school year, they bring with them 6 weeks of brand new experiences, friends and potentially hook-ups. But a turkey dump is less about sex and more about growing apart. As university students, we run on very ambiguous schedules. We pull all-nighters, we go out on Tuesdays and sometimes we sleep all day Sunday. For anyone at high school or with a job, it is most likely difficult to find time to text, talk or skype. Although some students are more than willing to put in the effort to communicate with their special someone, many are not. If you are feeling distant or overwhelmed with the task of trying to talk daily with your significant other, perhaps the thanksgiving dump is the choice for you.

Going away to university also gives you the opportunity to meet new people and experience new things. These new people have much more in common with you, and potentially share many of the same interests. In psychology we call this an improvement in the quality of alternatives. You’re young, you’re intelligent and you deserve to explore your options, as they are far more numerous here at U Ottawa than at your high school.

On top of these things, October is an extremely busy time of the year for University students. The honeymoon time of 101 week is over and midterms, papers and labs have begun to pile up. The realization that we are not just here to party hits hard. Most students spend every waking moment cramming and prepping and just don’t have time to send their significant other silly snap chats and kissy emoticons.

It’s difficult to say just how many relationships will crumble this thanksgiving weekend. Scott McCarter, although not a turkey dump victim, threw together a site as a joke and to raise awareness of the phenomenon. Turkeydump.com provides support, e-cards, stories and tweets all related to a good-old turkey dump.

Although the turkey dump may not be for everyone, it is a viable option for those of you who have been treated poorly or who just aren’t happy anymore. Whatever the decision, make it this coming holiday to ensure a hassle-free school year. Remember, you only experience university once, make it count!

Photo Credits:

http://bitchinlifestyle.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Breakup.jpg

http://turkeydump.com