Tried and Tested: The BEST Hair Masks on the market!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Let’s face it ladies: we love our hair. Whether we’re flipping it, pushing it behind our ears or using it as a weapon in the dating game, it’s our best accessory. But ironically enough, we don’t always take the best care of our strands. Between dye jobs, infrequent cuts and countless dates with our flat irons, we are left with dry and damaged hair. So girls, I would like to introduce you to your new best friend: hair masks. Whether you’ve gone too long without a trip to the salon or decided to go blonde when God intended for you to be brunette, there is a mask out there for you.

And because I love playing with my luscious locks as much as the next girl, I have rounded up my top picks. Check them out below.

My ultimate hair care product is Living Proof’s Restore mask treatment. Trust me when I say, this product is life changing. Earlier last year I toyed with the notion of being blonde and the foils completely destroyed my hair. I’m not even kidding- I started shedding. If I hadn’t been recommended this mask by my unbelievable hairdresser, I think I’d be bald by now. While this particular mask costs a pretty penny, I promise it is worth it. I bought this product in March and I am just running low now. Although it’s suggested you leave the product on for around five minutes, I like leaving mine in until I shower next. I find that it not only makes my hair silky and shiny, but I can also notice the differences the mask is making. I would recommend this product to anyone who also has endured a dye job gone wrong.

The doctor is in! If you’re craving an ultra deep cleansing mask than Lush’s Hair Doctor is the one for you. Made with peppermint oil, this trip to the ER will leave you feeling tingly and fresh. Infused with coconut oil for hydration and almond oil to soften, Hair Doctor cleans up any oil buildup from the hair and scalp. Massage the mask through your hair from tip to root, leave on for 20 minutes and then shampoo it out. Meant to soothe the scalp, this mask will not only revitalize your dead locks, but will also help them grow in a voluminous and beautiful mane.

We all know Moroccan Oil is IT when it comes to hair care products, so why not add Moroccan Oil’s Restorative Hair Mask into your weekly hair routine. Hydrating and nourishing, this magical oil has the ability to bring hair to a whole new level. In just seven short minutes, you can restructure and add some protein back into your hair, making it stronger and more beautiful than ever. For best results, apply to damp, towel dried hair after shampooing. Let the oil absorb in your hair for five to ten minutes, then rinse and follow with your favourite conditioner. Do this once a week and watch your hair become as healthy as a horse!

When it comes to girls dealing with damage from countless colours, L’Oreal’s Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm is the right pick for you. Total Repair 5 targets the most problematic hair concerns and kicks them in the behind! Say goodbye to weak, rough, dull and dehydrated split ends. With just one use, this mask has the ability to erase a year’s worth of damage (talk about a show stopper). All you have to do is apply to wet strands after shampooing, wait three to five minutes and get ready to unleash your hair on the town, and the boys ;).

And there you have it, my top picks for achieving a healthy and lustrous head of hair. While our hair has the ability to produce oils and shine naturally, it doesn’t hurt to give it a little head start. Hair is as essential an accessory as the latest it bag or killer pair of heels, don’t let your beautiful locks go without notice.

Credits: 1 2 3 4 5