This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

There are so many current and past trends that have gained a lot of hype in the media over the years, but do you know where they come from? A lot of fashion in history has been stolen from Black communities by Western culture. It is vital to support Black-owned businesses and creators, as well as to understand the difference between cultural appropriation and cultural appreciation. Fashion should not be less desirable when it comes from a Black creator versus a White one. Here are some trends you might not have known come from Black culture:

Hoop Earrings

Black girl magic photo
Photo by Leighann Blackwood from Unsplash

Lettuce Hem

Hip-Hop

women in front of led lights
Photo by Spencer Imbrock from Unslpash

Camouflage print

Bra tops

Black vernacular English and “Black Twitter”

Athleisure 

You are more than allowed to follow these cute trends! Black culture has had an incredible influence on current fashion. Just remember where your style is coming from ;)

Olivia Onesi

U Ottawa '24

Olivia enjoys binge reading her favourite young adult novels and going for evening runs. She is a fourth year psychology student at the University of Ottawa and can be found scrolling endlessly on TikTok.
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!