Life > Academics

Toxic Productivity: Why it’s Actually Counter-Productive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

As a university student, sometimes my life seems like it’s always go-go-go: all gas and no breaks, working like a dog until reading week, then taking a bit of time off, then back to working like a dog until the term is over. Sound familiar?

Between juggling classes, clubs, a part-time job, a social life, and household chores, I rarely feel like I have time for myself. However, when I do happen to get a few hours of free time, I often feel bad for using this personal time to do something that makes me happy when I could be using my time “more wisely,” such as studying or doing chores. I’m sure many students can relate to this, especially type-A ones, but did you know there’s a term for it?

This is essentially what toxic productivity is: an unrealistic and unsustainable attitude towards productivity. Toxic productivity can manifest itself in several behaviours. Even though I’m not proud of it, I see some of these behaviours in my actions today: sometimes I overwork myself and experience burnout, I feel guilty for taking a break, I dwell on what I should be spending my time on, I set unrealistic goals, and I don’t create healthy boundaries.

What makes toxic productivity counter-productive is the fact that it can cause unnecessary stress and burnout. If you’re always working yourself to the point of exhaustion, a good chunk of the work you’re trying to accomplish is not meaningful: it won’t be effective, or efficient, or both. Tired and stressed out people take way longer to write a good essay than energized people.

While I’m still working on it, here are some tactics that have helped me change my outlook on productivity:

• Practicing self-care such as exercising, reading a book or doing my skincare routine
  • Blocking out my time for everything (yes, time for hanging out with friends or just relaxing!)
  • Avoiding canceling plans with family or friends unless absolutely necessary
  • Giving myself grace

These tactics may seem a bit insignificant, but they have made a difference in my productivity journey. If you’re struggling and don’t know where to start, give them a try!

Isabella Siles

U Ottawa '25

Isabella is a third-year student at the University of Ottawa majoring in Health Sciences and minoring in Political Science. She likes travelling, Zumba classes, poke bowls, and falling down Wikipedia rabbit holes.