Top 5 Procrastination-Worthy Netflix Documentaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Studying for finals, writing papers, job applications, doing chores… all of these things have one main aspect in common: you don’t want to do them. There are so many things we should be doing, but sometimes we just can’t bring ourselves to be productive. Netflix has given us the beautiful yet dangerous ability to binge watch TV shows or movies while avoiding our to-do lists. I like documentaries because even though I’m procrastinating, I still feel like I’m learning something. Here is my list of the top five documentaries you can watch when you just need to unwind.

1. Foodies (2014) 1 hour 38 minutes

As university students, a lot of us don’t have the means to travel the world eating delicious food (even though I would give an arm and a leg to do so). Watch this documentary to drool over some delicious treats and learn about international cuisine in this yummy documentary. Watch the trailer here and maybe even get inspired to try making some at home!

2. 13th (2016) – 1 hour 40 minutes

“An in-depth look at the prison system in the United States and how it reveals the nation’s history of racial inequality.”

Racism exists in North America and is prominent to this day. People of colour are incarcerated at a disgustingly high rate. The Black Lives Matter movement challenges the high rates of police brutality against black communities. Educate yourself, become an ally, and work for justice. Here’s the trailer.

3. Audrie and Daisy (2016) 1 hour 38 minutes

“Two different girls sexually assaulted on two different nights, in two different towns. Audrie & Daisy takes a hard look at the issues faced by America’s teenagers who are coming of age in the new world of social media bullying, spun wildly out of control.”

The issue of sexual violence is sadly relevant in the lives of university students. Engaging in conversations about rape culture, consent, and cyber bullying are incredibly important. Check ourt the trailer here to see what you can to do make a difference. 

4. Sugar Coated (2015) 1 hour 31 minutes

Do you know what you’re putting in your body? This documentary examines just how out of balance the sugar levels are in most foods. 

5. Rolling Papers (2015) – 1 hour 19 minutes

Many university students have habits that can relate to this documentary. With the federal government potentially legalizing marijuana in the next few months, why not learn about how Colorado is managing this drug. This could be a great afternoon watch, maybe around 4:20? Watch the trailer here.

Do you have a favourite documentary you think our readers should watch? Make sure to let HC know in the comments!

Sources: Cover Photo, We’d like to thank Netflix for giving us access to so many great documentaries – all cinematics were researched using their application.

SaveSave

Emily first got involved in the University of Ottawa's Her Campus chapter in 2015 and is currently part of the Entertainment team. She is in her final year of Conflict Studies and Human Rights with a minor in Women's Studies, works for Public Safety Canada as a Junior Communications Officer and is the President of Theta Sigma Psi sorority.