This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.
The end of the fall semester is less than a month away, which means exam season is slowly creeping up on us all. Naturally, we’re all clung to our laptops and probably spending WAY too many hours browsing Netflix rather than studying. But seriously- how long do we all spend perusing Netflix for a TV Show that we haven’t seen 3 times? I’m guilty of that more than often! And so I’ve complied a list of shows on Netflix that you might’ve scrolled by!

1. Weeds
Everyone loves Orange is the New Black, right? But with waiting almost a year until the next season, we all need something to hold us over. I introduce you all to Weeds! Written and Produced by the same woman behind Orange is the New Black, (Jenji Kohan) Weeds tells the story of Nancy Botwin, a suburban California mother who turns to dealing marijuana to support her family after her husband dies unexpectedly. Over the seasons, things get more and more complicated for Nancy and her two sons. With the constant location changes, plot twists, and criminal activity, there’s never a dull moment in all 8 seasons! 

2. Luther
Think Criminal Minds, but British… and with a lot more corruption. Protagonist Detective Chief Inspector John Luther (Idris Elba) is like an evil version of CM’s Dr. Spencer Reid. He’s nearly a genius and is able to solve almost any case put in front of him, but his short temper, violent tendencies and obsessive behavior sometimes get the best of him. Filled with the same sorts of complicated crime stories as Criminal Minds, Luther’s passion for his work gets him into difficult situations. This (unfortunately) short and suspenseful series will have you getting through all three seasons in one weekend!

3. Gilmore Girls
Newly added to Netflix in October, if you haven’t seen this heart warming mother-daughter comedy, you’re missing out! This show makes city girls everywhere want to live in a small town like the quaint Stars Hollow where single mother Lorelai Gilmore and her daughter Rory live. Apart from the nonstop witty humour and fast-paced dialogue, this show addresses real life issues, from Lorelai’s struggle with teen pregnancy, her wealthy and overbearing parents, as well as Rory’s transition into an Ivy-League college and her everyday teenage issues with friends and love interests. This show depicts the ideal mother-daughter relationship that every young girl strives for. Granted it’s a bit more of a time commitment, you’re in for the long run with all 7 seasons!

4. Freaks and Geeks
If you’re actually trying to get some studying done this exam season, Freaks and Geeks is the show for you. With only one season and 18 episodes, this show will fly right by you! Perhaps the most devastated and undeserved cancellation of a television show in recent years, Freaks and Geeks is the perfect high school centered comedy. The show focuses on two main groups; the “Freaks” and the “Geeks”. In particular, Lindsay Weir and her friend group, as well as her younger brother Sam and his friends, who are considered the freaks and geeks, respectively. This show reflects a different point of view than most high school comedies, barely having any input from the “popular” kids, but rather focusing on the outcasts, and the struggles they face on a daily basis. This show is hilarious, relatable, and marked the start of the career of so many actors we love today, including James Franco, Seth Rogen and Jason Segel. 

5. Misfits
About a group of young offenders sentence to community service hours then suddenly develop super powers that mirror their character and kill their probation worker. Sound a little bit crazy? Welcome to the first episode of Misfits! This British sci-fy comedy will have you crying tears of joy and sadness, all in the same episode. The main characters are all so different and don’t get along at first, but soon grow to love each other after days and days of community service together. This show captures the essence of cheeky British humour and still finds a way to get in those heart wrenching moments. It’s an emotional rollercoaster on while following these misfits, but worth every second! 

What are your favourite shows that deserve way more recognition? Let us know if you check out any of these shows!

References: 
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
First year Communication student at uOttawa.