legally blonde icky valentines day?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
legally blonde icky valentines day?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MGM

Top 12 Romance Movies For Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Valentine’s Day is approaching soon and whether you’re single, in a relationship, or in a situationship, a good romance movie is the perfect activity to do by yourself or with someone you love. From a romance gal, here are my top 12 movies that are perfect to set the mood for Valentine’s Day. Enjoy!

The Notebook (2004)

The Notebook
New Line Cinema

Where to watch: Netflix

Starting off strong with The Notebook, one of my favourite romance movies ever. The story revolves around the summer of 1940, when Noah (Ryan Gosling) falls in love with Allie (Rachel McAdams). Their love is tested by multiple outside pressures—Allie is from a wealthy family while Noah isn’t—and unfortunately, they have to break up (not a spoiler!). The movie follows their love story throughout the years, and is a classic for a reason.

VALENTINE’S DAY (2010)

Where to watch: Apple TV

This movie is—as you can probably tell by the title—a perfect movie for Valentine’s Day. Not only that, but the cast in this movie is *chefs kiss*: Taylor Swift, Julia Roberts, Anne Hathaway, Bradley Cooper, Patrick Dempsey, Jennifer Garner…say no more! The story follows different couples throughout each of their Valentine’s Days.

HOW TO LOSE A GUY IN 10 DAYS (2003)

Where to watch: Paramount +

After Kate Hudson’s yellow dress in How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days went viral, I had to re-watch the movie—and it does not disappoint! Andie (Kate Hudson) has to write an article about how to lose a guy in ten days and Ben (Matthew McConaughey) has to win a bet of making in girl fall in love with him in ten days. When these two are put together, what can happen? This is honestly one of the best rom-coms I have ever seen and I will forever recommend it all of my life!

ANYONE BUT YOU (2023)

Where to watch: Currently in theatres

Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find…“. If you saw the movie already, I know you had this song in your head days after watching it. The chemistry between Bea (Sydney Sweeney) and Ben (Glen Powell) in the movie is so real and we love it! Also, the tropes in this movie are excellent; enemies to lovers plus fake dating? Yes, please. This story is about the aftermath of a not-so-awesome first date between Bea and Ben when they reunite for a wedding two years later. Despite now resenting each other, they agree to fake date so Bea can avoid a past boyfriend and Ben can make an ex-girlfriend jealous.

CRAZY RICH ASIANS (2018)

Crazy Rich Asians
Color Force

Where to watch: Apple TV or Amazon Prime Video

Crazy Rich Asians follows a couple, Rachel (Constance Wu) and Nick (Henry Golding) who travel for a friend’s wedding. Rachel gets to meet Nick’s wealthy and not-so-welcoming family. This movie delivers on the comedy and will make you want to book a vacation ASAP.

ME BEFORE YOU (2016)

Where to watch: Amazon Prime Video

I’m not crying, but you *will* be crying! Based on a novel, Louisa (Emilia Clarke) is a girl who takes a new job as a caregiver for Will (Sam Claflin), who was recently paralyzed. They slowly find themselves enjoying each other’s company, and Louisa’s influence slowly turns Will into a happier person. This movie is 100% the grumpy-sunshine trope. If you want an empty box of tissues for Valentine’s Day, then this movie is for you.

TITANIC (1997)

titanic im flying scene
Paramount Pictures

Where to watch: Netflix

Okay, I know this one is a bit of a cliche, however, I had to put it in this list! The story is a work of fiction but is inspired by the sinking of the Titanic in 1912. The movie revolves around Jake (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Rose (Kate Winslet), two passengers on the ship who fall in love. However, Rose is an upper-class engaged woman while Jake is a struggling artist. This is absolutely a must-see movie in your lifetime.

THE WEDDING PLANNER (2001)

Where to watch: Amazon Prime Video

The early 2000’s was a golden era for rom-coms, especially with Jennifer Lopez (who plays Mary) and Matthew McConaughey (Steve) in The Wedding Planner. As suggested by the title, Mary is a talented wedding planner whose dream since she was young is to get married. However, she’s never found the perfect match…until she met the groom of one of her weddings.

YOU’VE GOT MAIL (1998)

Where to watch: Netflix

Joe (Tom Hanks), who’s the owner of a big bookstore, and Kathleen (Meg Ryan) who owns a local bookstore are rivals. Not knowing each other’s identity, they become pen pals via the internet. What can happen when they find out who the other is? Will they still hate one another, or have they developed something deeper?

LA LA LAND (2016)

Where to watch: Paramount +

Are you in the mood for a musical? If so, this movie is for you! Sebastien (Ryan Gosling) is a pianist and Mia (Emma Stone) is an actress, both struggling to make it in Los Angeles when they meet and fall in love. With their different career paths and the sacrifices they must make to succeed, their love and relationship is put to the test.

DIRTY DANCING (1987)

Dirty Dancing
Great American Films Limited Partnership

Where to watch: Netflix

Dirty Dancing is a definitely a classic, starring Jennifer Grey (Baby) and Patrick Swayze (Johnny). While spending a summer at a resort with her family, Baby finds herself falling in love with the (much older) dance instructor Johnny—despite her father’s objections. This film is the oldest on the list, but has stayed popular for a reason.

RED, WHITE & ROYAL BLUE (2023)

Where to watch: Amazon Prime Video

Based on the Casey McQuiston novel, Red, White & Royal Blue, this film follows the feud between Alex (Taylor Zakhar Perez), the son of the U.S. President, and Henry (Nicholas Galitzine), a prince of the U.K. We love a good enemies-to-lovers trope!

That’s a wrap for all of the 12 movie recommendations! Whether it’s a rom-com, or a romantic drama, a good romance movie always brings you good vibes and helps you escape from reality. It can also push you to be a hopeless romantic like me. I hope your Valentine’s Day is filled with love, laughter, and a bit of crying (over fictional characters, of course)!

Amélie Bouthillier is a author at Her Campus UOttawa. She loves to write about the entertainement industry, tips, movies, books recommendation and more. Beyond Her Campus, Amélie is currently in her first year in general studies in art at UOttawa. Not only that she love to write articles, Amélie wrote a poetry book that centers mental health (lost poems). In her free time, Amélie enjoys reading romance and poetry. She also enjoys music (mainly Taylor Swift).